Moving up from HTML Editor - Post ID...

User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

OK I am ready to make the jump from my tried and true HTML editor to the new Responsive software. My question is what is the difference in the Responsive Site Designer and the Responsive Layout Maker? From looking at the two forums it appears that the user is able to design a web site using either one. So before I jump into this area I need a little guidance as to which one will be better or do in fact I need both?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

It is about time Jack! :-)

Responsive Layout Maker is great if you're the kind of designer who likes to get "under the hood" and work with code. RLM solves one of the biggest challenges in responsive design, having a flexible core which can adapt based on the viewer’s screen size. In a nutshell, Responsive Layout Maker creates a responsive prototype website (called a layout). You build the structure of your website in Responsive Layout Maker and then export to any code editor to add your final content and design styles.

Responsive Site Designer on the other hand, allows you to add the design layer visually without having to dive into the code. These design tools allow you to add background images, gradients, shadow, radius, and set state functionality (hover, active, visited). There's more cool stuff like a web inspector tool, adding meta data and footer code, integrating and customizing font icons (1200+ icons come with the app) and more.

You can get more details on the comparison here: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/1423

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2276240 Photo

194 posts

Thanks Scott. Now I need to make sure I have enough time to really try it out.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.