Migrating FrontPage site to CC HTML...

User 2206816 Photo

1 post

Hi All,

I am taking over a non-profit website that has been maintained using FrontPage. I used FrontPage about 6 years ago, and have not worked on a website since. I bought CC HTML Editor, since it sounds like it'll be fairly simple to work in it. (I write software documentation for a living, and am somewhat software-proficient.)

I do not know the best way to get started on the existing web site. I will talk to the retiring webmaster, but do you have any tips? I don't believe the current site uses CSS, or much of anything beyond basic HTML. I have the files saved to my hard drive so that i can open them and get started, but I do not know how to manage CSS. Do I create a new project for the files? How do i set it up so that it doesn't conflict with what is already there?

Thanks,
Katy
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts

I don't use the 'Project' myself, but it is possible to create one with already existing files. You can read about projects here: http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … projects/.

If you don't know CSS, here is a good place to start learning: http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp. You can turn the presentational html tags into CSS as you learn, you don't have to change it all at once. Remember to test the pages in several browsers, as they have different default margins, font sizes etc., which means that a web page will look different from one browser to another.

If the server where the site is hosted has a cpanel, I'd remove the Front page folders when you are ready to upload your changed site.

And most important, ;) Come back here and holler at us if and when you get stuck. There are a couple of us literally living here :lol:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 471275 Photo

Ambassador
1,130 posts

Katy,
By the sound of it I doubt it has a css file and I think it was all created in Frontpage. It is easy to see if there is a css page as it will have the extension .css instead of .html. There is no reason you can not work with htlm editor on a site that was maintained with Frontpage.
Open the pages in html editor and if you do not want to use the html code section just maintain the website with the visual editor in the html editor to start with.
Hope this helps
:)

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I would highly suggest you stay away from the Visual Editor part of the HTML Editor unless the original site pages were created with a visual system in Frontpage. If you don't, it will skew your code to the visual setup instead of the normal HTML code which can get pretty messy as well as messing up how you really want it to be because it totally changes the format of the code to a visual setup.

If you already have been using Frontpage as a Visual type editor, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Make sure to keep a backup of your original files before you do it so if it messes it up you can always go back and start over with the fresh copies and just use HTML.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.