Is Coffee Cup for Me? - Post ID 293847

User 2997969 Photo

24 posts

I used Coffee Cup html editor to make a web site back in about 2005. The subject was a case history of the President’s Day snowstorm from Feb 2003. The site was mostly photos, weather maps and descriptions of meteorological concepts. I am interested in updating and publishing the web site. It hasn’t been hosted for many years and it looks pretty bland by today’s standards. This is not a business proposition or any kind of money making venture. It is merely to share information on this historic storm.

I’m trying to decide which platforms to use to upgrade the site and where to host it. The number of possibilities seems endless and confusing to me. Since I used Coffee Cup back in 2005 I thought I would look at it again for the upgrade and hosting. I’m a little overwhelmed by all the choices. What would be a recommended package for me for this modest project? And is Coffee Cup a good choice for me to use for this upgrade?

Thanks,
Robert W
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Hi Robert,
The HTML Editor is still going strong, and if you are a coder, you will be able to make great websites with it. Coding has changed a bit since 2005, though, so to be able to use it fully, you will have to have kept yourself updated with the newest standards of html5 and css3.

If you don't want to worry too much about code, though, there is the Coffeecup Site Designer. That is a different approach, in that you don't have to code yourself, the program does it for you. But it is very useful to know some code anyway, to better understand the choices you will have to make. The Site Designer (short: SD) has all the updated code built in. There are user manuals and instructional videos to get you started. And there is this forum with many helpers in case you get stuck.

When I migrated to SD myself some years ago, it took me some time to finish my first site built with it. It was, as I said, a different approach. But with a bit of exercise I was able to finish a site much faster than I had been able to do with traditional coding. Therefore I recommend that you do your 'homework' with the manuals and videos first, before you start a real project.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2997969 Photo

24 posts

Thank you Inger,

I’m not really a coder. I haven’t done any coding since 2005 when I made my first and only web site. I am taking an on-line course (Udemy) and I am learning HTML5 and CSS3 along with some Bootcamp and JavaScript. I just became the webmaster for my community web site (ComWeb) so I need to brush up on my coding.

I have all the HTML/CSS from my 2005 project. My plan is to update to the new standards, find a template that looks good, and make some minor edits. Then find a host. Do you think Site Designer is the right tool for this? Since I have started looking for tools I have been inundated with ads (mostly WordPress and their hosting company). I really liked CC when I did my original work so I want to look here first. Thanks again for your help

Robert W
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Hi again,
With SD you cannot import pre-made pages directly. You need to make the structure of the site (or use a template), and then you can copy/paste the contents. You'll find ready-made templates made with SD on the page Templates, see link the top of this page.
As to the templates for SD, nearly all of them are made in some responsive framework. If you think you will need help from other users, then I'd advise you to go for something made with Foundation, as it seems to be the most popular one. I would also advise you to be careful with templates made with CSS grid. Not because they are not good (they are!), but simply because CSS grid is regarded to be advanced, and it seems like not many people are able to give advice. Maybe someone may react to my saying this, but my impression is, that it hasn't really caught on, and people new to SD who start with CSS grid quite often start over again with one of the other solutions.

If you want to stick with the HTML Editor, the templates can be used there too, and from a link within the app you can find more templates. I hope that the course you are taking at Udemy also includes media queries. You will need that in order to make your site responsive.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2997969 Photo

24 posts

Thank you again Inger. I think I will go with the Site Pack. It looks to me like the SD pack ($99) does not include the HTML editor, but the Site Pack ($129) does. Am I reading that right? I think I can get where I want to be with SD and HTML editor.

Robert
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I think you are making a good decision.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

User 2997969 Photo

24 posts

Inger - Thanks for your help. I purchased the Site Pack today and I'm starting work on my project.

Robert
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Congratulations! Just yell if you get stuck! :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.