I need help linking between two pages...

User 372694 Photo

32 posts

Hi

I'm just starting out learning HTML and I have hit a small bump on my way to become a code guru !

I'm following a tutorial where I have to link two pages together, but my problem is that once I follow the link on the first page called Firstpage.html then the page I'm supposed to come to Secondpage.html is a white screen and I'm not able to see the text I have written on it !

The pages I have created is:

Firstpage.html

Secondpage.html

The code I'm using 'Firstpage in order to link to the Scondpage is:

<a href="Secondpage.html">Link to my Secondpage</a>

According to my tutorial this should be enough if the to pages resides in the same folder and I have made sure that they do so !

What is it I'm doing wrong here ?
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts
Online Now

Have you published your pages so we can see them live?:)

Share a link.

Make sure your pages are actually named:
firstpage.html
secondpage.html

and not

Firstpage.html
Secondpage.html

as this is the preferred way.

Then change the name in the links to.

<a href="firstpage.html">Link to my First page</a>
<a href="secondpage.html">Link to my Second page</a>

I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 372694 Photo

32 posts

Hi

Thank you for the advice.

I have just opened the HTML Editor and do what you have described, however, before making my alterations I tried once more to click on the links just to make sure that I still had the problem.

Gee, guess what; now it works !!!

I have also, found a strange behavior, which I suspect could be a bug:

On my secondpage I have made a link back to my firstpage, but when I follow the link from my firstpage then the link on my secondpage is gone !

If I then click on the 'Code Editor' pane and then click on the 'Preview' pane again then the link is there !!! - I have tried to click on the Refresh button (found to the left of the 'Test in Browser' button), but this didn't help

This issue don't happen to the firstpage - every link is visible without me having to switch back and forth between the view panes.

Edit:

Hmmm, just as I suspected.

The behavior I have just described vanishes when I close and re-open the HTML Editor !

This is clearly a bug !

User 117361 Photo

Ambassador
6,076 posts

What colour is your visited link...and what colour is the page? Could be that your visited link colour is the same as the page and therefore invisible after clicking.
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

On my secondpage I have made a link back to my firstpage, but when I follow the link from my firstpage then the link on my secondpage is gone !

Who's on first? :lol:
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.