Free Trial Versions - Post ID 154235

User 2164562 Photo

51 posts

Hello

I'm a newbie to Coffee Cup and I was wondering with Visual Site Designer....As I'm creating, can it be saved as an HTML document ? Because when I save, its considered as a VS or VG (can't remember) file.

I just want to be sure that Coffee Cup will be my saving grace to web design before I make this purchase. I have to say though.....I'm amazed with all that Coffee Cup offers and I"m excited about using all the Coffee Cup has to offer. :D
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

When you save, it saves as the file VSD can read and open. Try exporting the site.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

Gigi wrote:
Because when I save, its considered as a VS or VG (can't remember) file.

Gigi - VSD will save your "working" file as a .vnu This file CANNOT be opened/edited by any other program, and any changes that you make to your website SHOULD be through this file, UNLESS you don't intend to use VSD for any further updates. VSD DOES also create the individual pages, as .html files and you COULD open them with any standard HTML/Text editor BUT, IF you make changes and save them, then go back to VSD you're changes WILL BE GONE!!!

Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,193 posts

If you create a page in VSD with the intention of editing it in an HTML editor don't name it what you actually want it to be on the website. That way when you edit it with an html editor you can rename it to the name you want and VSD won't over write it.:)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Do keep in mind that the code that VSD uses is not typical standard HTML code as it uses absolute positioning for pretty much everything so it's pretty hectic looking stuff. And as Phil is saying, if you update anything outside of the program it will not be there when you load it up next. There is no "import" feature to VSD, it only spits it out not allows you to import things to the files. All editing does need to be done within the program itself unless you are doing as he mentions and creating the site and then doing all the editing outside of the program with no intentions of using the program for that site again.
User 2164562 Photo

51 posts

Thanks everyone for answering my question.:)

I don't plan on switching work from VSD to an HTML editor ....because I am way too new in this dept. I'm still studying and now that HTML 5 is out and learning that there is CSS3 ......YES --- ALMOST RAN FOR THE HILLS !!!! As described in VSD's overview page.... LOL

Thanks again, everyone, for your help !! :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.