Word count differences in tools -...

User 2611213 Photo

15 posts

I'm running several web analytics tools on the referenced website. Tool A (Insight) reports back 123 words on the page, Tool B reports 638 words, and Tool C reports 730 words. I can understand that there may be some difference between the tools (although I would think the word count should be the same), but I don't understand why the Insight word count is so much lower than the others (123 vs. 638 & 730). Can you look at that URL and tell me why Insight comes up with such a low word count?

Thanks,
Norm Sash
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Can you post a link to a page you are having these questions about?
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2611213 Photo

15 posts

Hi Scott. The URL that is showing the word count discrepancy is http://SashPhotography.com/seniorpictures/

Let me know if I can help any further.
User 2611213 Photo

15 posts

Hi Scott... have you been able to research this issues and gain any insight?
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Sorry, I missed your post. I will take a look at this tomorrow and see if I notice anything odd.

Not all tools use the same methods for counting words. For example, single word letters or words with 2-3 letters, some ignore completely ( like "a", "and", "or, "the". Other scanners ignore words that are found within scripts.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

We have narrowed it down to a problem with your code. This block was causing problems with our parser.

<script src="//s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.mailchimp.com/js/mc-validate.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[
(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[2]='LNAME';ftypes[2]='text';fnames[3]='STATUS';ftypes[3]='radio';fnames[4]='PDATE';ftypes[4]='date';fnames[7]='PTIME';ftypes[7]='text';fnames[5]='ODATE';ftypes[5]='date';fnames[8]='OTIME';ftypes[8]='text';}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
// ]]></script>
<!--End mc_embed_signup-->

We have uploaded a new version (Build 369) that will correct this problem. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
User 2611213 Photo

15 posts

Awesome Scott... I'll download the new build and try it.

The code that you reference isn't really "my" code. It's actually code from Mailchimp (if you are not familiar with them, they are a major email service.)
User 2611213 Photo

15 posts

Great Scott... the word count looks a lot better as I'm now seeing 905 words in the report.

In looking at the words report I do see something that I question. If you run a report on the url http://sashphotography.com/seniorpictures/ you will see the 905 words. But if you look at the actual list there are words listed in the "Words Found" column, but the Occurrences is "0". How is it that a word can be found but have zero occurrences?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.