What code to use for pages - Post ID...

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hello all,

I am in the process of updating or htaccess file that will be uploaded when finished.
QUESTION: I know about and do use the Redirect 301 and never had a problem BUT I have about 3 or 4 pages that I will actually be deleting permanently and 301 is not I want, can I use Status Code 410 ???
From what I read: "A 410 is more permanent than a 404; it means that the page is gone. The page is no longer available from the server and no forwarding address has been set up. Any links you have on your site that are pointing to a 410 page are sending bots and visitors to a dead resource, so if you see them, remove any references or links to them from your content." Has anyone else used 410 or is there another code to use???? Or should I just add my Custom 404 page for that url?

Thanks,
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 2699991 Photo

4,798 posts
Online Now

Well as it says "any links you have on your site that are pointing to a 410 page are sending bots and visitors to a dead resource, so if you see them, remove any references or links to them from your content.""
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
Well as it says "any links you have on your site that are pointing to a 410 page are sending bots and visitors to a dead resource, so if you see them, remove any references or links to them from your content.""

Thanks Wayan,
Have you used 410 yourself or just custom 404? After further searching about it some say better to just use a custom 404 page as Google and others in time consider it like a 410.
May just do that??
Ray aka Kreations
User 2699991 Photo

4,798 posts
Online Now

Ray wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:

Thanks Wayan,
Have you used 410 yourself or just custom 404? After further searching about it some say better to just use a custom 404 page as Google and others in time consider it like a 410.
May just do that??

never had to use a 410,
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

May just do that??

never had to use a 410,

Okay thanks
Ray aka Kreations

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.