SSL question - Post ID 276878

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hello all,
OK it looks like it has finally come time to add the SSL to our site, I have been searching on CC forum and also google for help (again). Since prices do vary so much has any one here used SSL2BUY to purchase a SSL Certificate? If so any thoughts about them positive and or negative? They are re-sellers for many brands and I am looking at 3 that they sell: COMODO POSITIVE SSL - RapidSSL and GeoTrust. Either one would be SINGLE DOMAIN. Prices are much much lower than if I went direct. I know I would also need a Dedicated ISP that my hosting charges $19.00 for and also a one time install of about $50. Since I am NOT a designer like so many here in CC, would going this way or just using a Free SHARED SSL with my hosting company be just as good?????? We have about 60 pages using RSD 1.5 and plan next year to hopefully to change site to Foundation Framer (stand alone). Would this cause a problem if a SSL is installed before updating from RSD 1.5 to FF ???
Thanks,
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

Most SSL's are similar but may offer more coverage if something happens. You only absolutely need one if your collecting credit card data or maybe personnel info. I know Google is pushing for it so get the cheapest one you can if your not collecting data. It doesn't matter when you install it for your site as it has nothing to do with html except some links you may place.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Eric Rohloff wrote:
Most SSL's are similar but may offer more coverage if something happens. You only absolutely need one if your collecting credit card data or maybe personnel info. I know Google is pushing for it so get the cheapest one you can if your not collecting data. It doesn't matter when you install it for your site as it has nothing to do with html except some links you may place.

Thanks Eric that is what I was thinking go for cheapest as we don't collect data ie credit cards etc. Looking at a 3 yr one at a low cost but also looking at the free shared one on my hosting site. Thanks again.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Update: I tested and added a Shared SSL on one of the sites we have so I could actually see how it works and what it displays. Well even though it does work and shows it is secured I will definitely NOT go this way but will look more at paying for a dedicated SSL so our URL will show.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
User 455608 Photo

31 posts

I also switched to a shared SSL model for most of my sites. Dropped the expense down alot.

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

WebSight wrote:
I also switched to a shared SSL model for most of my sites. Dropped the expense down alot.

my hosting provider includes ssl certificate for 1 domain free
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.