How to point a domain name to a...

User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

your aw stats will have search words that brought people to your site.
use those words in your text..

and use this handy dandy magic tool
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Been updating here and there tonight from some tips from Eric, thanks very much for the call Eric it helped a lot believe me.

I redid my site map after getting the titles, descriptions and keywords altered a bit on all the html pages. I'm not sure if it's right or not, it still looks like it's not connecting the links on the right 2 columns from the 2nd row down to anything. Some of them connect to the ones to the right or left of them, but none of the 2nd row and lower are connected to anything at the top at all, they are just rows of their own in a sense. Not sure what's up on that, but it sure looks a lot more connected than it did before lol. I think removing those files completely and doing a fresh upload helped a lot.

The only errors the site map found are ones that the updated SCC will fix so that's good too. I resubitted it and I guess now I just have to wait till it's crawled to see if it fixed any of the errors we saw on the Google webtools crawl errors. I'm hoping that this update of the sitemap will fix most of that too but we'll see. If not then I'll get them redirects in right away.

Eric, I have a question on the Links found vs. Links Indexed thing. When I resubmitted it still showed basically the same numbers it did before. Is this something that changes after the next crawl, providing it's done right now? I'm assuming yes, but better to be sure so I don't fret about it thinking something is still wrong if it's just a matter of waiting yet.

Thanks again for all your help guys, you have truly helped me get past this funk I was sitting in, and I want you all to know how much it's appreciated. :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

dave beall wrote:
your aw stats will have search words that brought people to your site.
use those words in your text..

and use this handy dandy magic tool
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

I'll play with that tool again soon when it doesn't frustrate me so much lol. That's one of the things I was telling Eric tonight. I put my site in there and have it show me the keywords and it brings up a trillion different keywords that aren't even on my site anywhere nor have anything to do with my site and I've no clue what to do with all that lol. I'll be playing with it some more though as soon as I get what I'm doing up to speed and done and then I'll work with this irritating tool :P It's not just this one though, most keyword tools are greek to me how they work, and most of them bring up a ton of things that aren't on my site or anything to do with my site so it must be doing something different than I'm thinking it's doing lol, go figure huh? :P
User 147665 Photo

Ambassador
712 posts

The adwords tool is just a helper to see what is showing in the search engines..
This is for people that use adwords to find out which words to attach their ads to.
But it has other purposes too.

Goto the page, hit the radio button 'Website content',
enter your page http://accessoriesoftheworld.com/
hit the button, 'get keyword ideas'
Look at the search volume columns to see the words with the highest numbers.
Those high numbers show you the words that people use the most in their searches.
Sooo, those words are a good bet to use in your site's content, in the keywords meta tag, and in page titles.

There are some other tools there to, and like the adwords tool, is just another way to find good keywords that are being used by people(web users).

I am sure you are aware of the numbers.
121 million women age 16 years and over in the U.S
I suppose younger women also spend money on jewelry.
I guess that means you have 121 million possible customers.

search numbers
132,000,000 for jewelry
31,600,000 for jewelry accessories
15,200,000 for cultural jewelry
758,000 for ethnic jewelry
20,100,000 for unique jewelry
-------------------------
take my little canvas shop for example:
google search--
2,260,000 for boat covers
no where near the listings(competitors),
but I am different, I just don't care about search listings since my site is more of a tool for me to use when talking to customers on the phone. And I only need a 75 mile radius coverage.
BTW, after 2 years, DMOZ finally listed my site.

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

O...M...G....
I think the lights went on a few moments ago about that keyword tool in adwords lol. Thanks Dave and most definitely thanks Eric because I think a lot of the help I got last night helped me to see what I wasn't seeing before in adwords too. At least I'm hoping I'm grasping it right now lol. And when I look at it now I just bonk myself on the head and go "sheesh how stupid that I didn't see that before" LOL.

I wonder now if I did somewhat see it before but was so overwhelmed at what needed to be done that I just couldn't face it or something. I dunno, but I'm working with it now to see if I can't find some good keywords. That adwords keyword search tool is awesome, not only gives you the amounts of searches people have done for a keyword, but also how much competition is out there on it and shows you the page that loads on that search so you can see the sites you're up against! Man oh man how could I have missed all that before lol, I now wonder too if maybe I just never saw this part of the adwords setup or something. So concentrated on the ads that I wasted at that time that I didn't see the forest for the trees I guess lol.

Soooo now I have a more technical question (not really but more than how something works completely lol).
I did some searches in adwords keyword tool. My question is (hopefully I can word this correctly to get what I'm trying to say across as I don't know the terms for it all):

You do a search, for say african ethnic
Does that search's results also include africa ethnic? (note the removal of the n on african)
Not in quotes so not looking for exact phrases.
Or are each search's results specific to that exact search only? In my mind anything searched for, that actually contains another word, would show up also so if I search for bracelets that would also include anything that has bracelet in it.

In other words for an exact search I actually did for african jewelry sets, competition is low and the search results are Global 110. The same search for african jewelry set (no plural here) gives a lower competition rating, but the exact same search results number of 110.
This tells me that 110 is accounting for both ways of searching.

Is this correct in my assumptions? Or am I not quite getting how that works?
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Jo Ann,

Yes, those numbers should change once your site is crawled again.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

In searching characters are matched up character by character. So if they search for Africa and you have listed African they still should find you, however the reverse would not be true.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Well chit!
Ok my site has apparently already been crawled today at some point, and now it has 437 URLs submitted but only 16 of them are indexed now, it was 66 so it's worse now! LOL what did I do wrong this time?

I updated my html site pages as suggested above for title and meta tags. Didn't do anything with the Shop pages as of yet.

I deleted all the files for the sitemap that was there and then redid it completely and reuploaded it. I'm pretty sure it worked right since the page on the site now is completely different looking than it was before that, but as mentioned above I still have some issues with the sitemap not connecting yet, not sure how to correct that.

I didn't touch anything else as I really wanted to make sure that those fixes I did (and the clean sitemap) weren't the problem to start with.

Problem Scenario:
Google is finding 404 errors for pages that don't even exist on my server, haven't for many months. It's also finding 404 errors for directories & pages that I don't ever recall even being there, (these were there last night too) such as http:// accessoriesoftheworld.com/layouts/.... that has never been put onto my server that I'm aware of unless maybe some module or plugin or program did it and then was removed after taking that particular module/plugin/program off and maybe my site got indexed in between? Either way though, I have a brand new sitemap, and those links (there are about a dozen or so of them) don't exist anywhere on my site or in the site map yet Google is still finding them?

*Is very confused on how this part works yet lol*

@Eric: All the same links that were there last night in the crawl errors are still there basically is what the problem is, but now it's only indexing 16 pages instead of 66 out of the 437 submitted. Will redirecting all those pages correct this do you think? Or is this something else that I messed up with the sitemap maybe? I ask that because the number of indexed went down so I'm assuming something else is wrong that I changed?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Eric English wrote:
In searching characters are matched up character by character. So if they search for Africa and you have listed African they still should find you, however the reverse would not be true.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too, that answers that question :)
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

I think you should try redirecting, but just do a couple of the major ones, and see how google indexes. That will tell us a lot.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.