Structuring WAM Question - Post ID...

User 1877970 Photo

4 posts

Some background. I currently utilize box dot net as a way for my consultants and clients to share files with each other. My clients and consultants do this sharing via the box website. However, box dot net allows me to embed folders and upload widgets on my site. So rather than actually going to the box website to collaborate I would like to embed the folders, files and upload/download widgets on my website.

What i would like to do is continue to use box dot net (for the actual storage of the files) utilizing the box embedding feature to embed the folders for each client on a web page for that individual client.

That's easy enough....but this is how I would like to set it up but I cant figure out how to do it:

1. I want to have a login link on my home page
When the client or consultant click on the login link I want the username and password pop up to appear.

2. At this point each client would enter their own un/pw and would then be directed to their assigned page which has been assigned to them.

Is this possible to do?
User 562592 Photo

2,038 posts

Yes WAM can do this for you. After you add your user and you click the box for them to have permissions, then you right click and select, which folders you want them to have access to.

Simple as that.
The philosopher has not done philosophy until he has acted upon the mere conviction of his idea; for proof of the theory is in the act, not the idea.

My Web Development Company: http://www.innovatewebdevelopment.com (Created with Coffee Cup Software).

My Personal Website: http://www.EricSEnglish.com

User 1877970 Photo

4 posts

Thanks Eric, I still havent been able to get it to work right.

This is how I have it set up:

This is what i've done:
Home page I have a "login" link. I have it going to a folder that i've called secureserver.html (i think my problem is with this link but not sure)
within the folder called secureserver.html I have the 2 different pages, lets call:
company-1.html
company-2.html
When a user clicks on the secureserver.html link i'd like them to prompted to input their username and password and then be automatically directed to their own page. For example"
I have 2 diff usersers, I only want them to have access to their .html page. So after they complete the login at secureserver.html I want them to automatically be directed to their page
user1 directs to company-1.html
user2 directs to company-2.html

So what i've done is given user1 access to secureserver.html and then secureserver/company-1.html. My thinking was that the user would be prompted to give username and password at secureserver.html and sent too secureserver/company-1.html but that is not what is happening. the link address that I have on my homepage isnt going anywhere or doing anything. In order to get it to work I am having to manually input the complete address that to the users company page.

So....I'm thinking 1) ive done something wrong when setting up the user in wam and/or 2) my (login) link is wrong. Do I need to have that link going to specific file? if so, what would that address look like? is it a http:// or https:// and is the end of the link .html or .htaccess

I'm sure it's very simple....i'm just having a hard time wraping my head around it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
User 1877970 Photo

4 posts

Not sure that what I want is clear...

I basically want to due what a bank would do when I click on it's login link.

When i put input my unique username and password it takes me to MY client information

When you input your unique username and password it takes you to YOUR client information

I'm wondering if I need to be using something like shopping cart creator or shopping cart designer?
User 2077220 Photo

4 posts

Hi Erin,

I'm not a pro but I don't think WAM will do what you want. WAM "protects not directs." You could have a page where your clients are listed - by username or whatever - with each name being a link to their client area. Protect the client areas with WAM and when a client clicks their link and enters their authentication, they get to their folder.

You might use a drop down list of clients and direct clients to their folders that way. Then WAM would ask for their authentication.

I just don't think WAM can direct to a folder based on authentication. Coffecup, plz correct me if I'm wrong. :)

hb
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Erin,

Howard is correct, WAM is not a client login system, it's a file and folder protection and access system. It is meant only to give you a way to allow or disallow access. The page that pops up for you to fill in the ID and PW are not editible in any way as they are browser based or internet based pages, they aren't generated by the WAM program. The only thing the WAM program does is "makes" that popup happen to access the page, nothing more.

Having said that I too would love a way to do logins, but it takes a bit more coding ability than I have to work with hehe, so I haven't bothered. If you are not able to code something like this yourself, one way around this is to use a CMS style site (Content Management System) which has that all built in. A really good one for simplicity is Wordpress as it has quite a good system for account access situations and levels. Joomla is a great system for site, and I must say one of the best, but it isn't very access level friendly so it falls short there. Drupal would fill that position well for access levels, but ease of use isn't quite the best. If you're up for a more technical challenge that would fill the spot you need, Drupal or Wordpress would do the trick.

If you're not up to the idea of changing systems you'll need to find an alternative method using databases to accomodate logins.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.