Announcing CoffeeCup Website Access...

User 152539 Photo

Ambassador
4 posts

Hi,

Seems like we windows users could do with this too!!!

Are we gettin it? or do we have to send the boys round?? ;)

well done guys

fivpints ;)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Unfortunately the way IIS works, it isn't possible. Configuring this type of access has to be done through the Windows interface ;(

Here are the steps you have to go through:
http://www.hostmysite.com/support/dedic … rdprotect/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 627681 Photo

3 posts

Many webhosts are now not allowing .htaccess but are using phpsuexec for added security. My webhost uses phpsuexec. Do you have a solution/workaround for that?
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Hi James,

On a standard Apache installation, suexec does not work for PHP, as PHP is implemented using a dynamically loadable module that runs within the context of Apache. All PHP scripts thus run under the same user as Apache itself runs as (www-data).

That sort of setup would be difficult at best to administrate and maintain.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 627681 Photo

3 posts

Not really, as all that is needed is a php.ini file that is specific to the user, not global. Can't the application be configured to access as the specific user?

We run Joomla, WordPress, and many PHP applications, such as shopping carts, under phpsuexec. cPanel also creates password protected folders under phpsuexec.

Or is this an issue where an external application, such as CoffeeCup Access Manager cannot manage users remotely?

User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Not easily. The application is written to work specifically with .htaccess by means of generating .htaccess and .htpasswd files. Supporting something like phpsuexec would be a different program entirely.
User 627681 Photo

3 posts

Thanks, Scott!

The challenges of changing technology and security.

I may have found a CoffeeCup application I can't use! First time for everything.

Constantly using many CoffeeCup software programs. Thanks for all the great work and applications!

Jim
User 462238 Photo

144 posts

Just tried the trial on a Host Gator website. Worked perfectly. Took about 10 min to add a directory and protect with a few user names. This one is on my buy list. I'm sold. Good one.

P.S. I have been using the features in my host cpanel to accomplish this but I think I prefer to have it on my local machine, Seems easier to access, make changes, and record data.
User 458079 Photo

15 posts

J.storck,
Can you tell me what you did with Gator to get it to work?
I've tried without success. I also have Gator host our site but they have not been able to help me make it work. I've gotten tons of help from Scott but for some reason my site isn't having much success getting it to work.

I'm sure it's me but I would appreciate any suggestions on how you got it to run over there. Would you share you experience with me at Gator.
Your post gives me hope.

I love the structure of the software. It seem so simple and really easy.
i just wish I could get it to work.
Ron :rolleyes:

(I'm sure it's me and not a knock on the software at all )
User 462238 Photo

144 posts

Lucky Ron,

I did not have to do anything. I have 3 sites hosted under the Business account. Supposedly a dedicated IP. After navigating to the correct "public" folder, choosing the directory, applying access permissions, and using CC FTP uploading...it worked like a charm. I have a linksys wireless and use M/S Live One Care which I really like. Not one problem since it came out. There are no fancy customized firewall settings or anything. Just default. You may take a look at the options listed in the Host Gator business account to see if they are different from what you might have or check the cpanel for .php options but I don't recall anything unusal there. I use some of the .php guestbooks and forums offered and they work great. Did your install pass the required test at the beginning? Are you confident you have it set to the correct dirrectory? I have been very satisfied with HG and any questions I had were quickly resolved by their live chat support. Never had to go beyond that.

Did you by any chance try turning off your firewall and antivirus software to test if they could be the problem. Did you FTP upload? Using FPSE (HTTP) is not recommended. FPSE screw with the code supposedly. I moved to HG to get off the FPSE and windows server that my old host offered. Do they have your account on the CC recommended server...Apache?

Here are the program versions from the cpanel
ProgramVersion
Apache:2.2.11
CentOS:5.2
cPanel:11.24.4-RELEASE
Curl:7.12.1
MySQL5.0.67
phpMyAdmin2.11.9.4
Python:2.4.3
Perl:5.8.8
PHP:5.2.4
ionCube Loader:3.1.32
Zend Optimizer:3.3.3
Ruby:1.8.5
Rails:2.0.2
OpenSSL:0.9.8b

Probably not much help, but my experiences have been good with both CC and HG.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.