Sucks... - Post ID 175149

User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,187 posts

You don't have to use your forms on S-Drive. They can be used on any server.:)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 352945 Photo

21 posts

"CoffeeCup is maintaining the servers, you can rest assured that your site/shop (or add-ons) that you create with CC software WILL WORK with no hassles I'm sure you remember the GoDaddy fiasco from earlier this year, where NUMEROUS subscribers had to scramble because their forms were rendered useless due to a change that GD implemented."

Again, a third party, still....
If Coffee Cup goes down, then what?
Plan for the worst when you have MANY websites.
One email to Godaddy, my hosting service, and the problem was fixed.
We are "dancing around" the issue.
You have created a form that requires several steps to enable a simple captcha.
I'll leave this subject alone as many think it's "no big deal".
Personally, the old one was much better.
(Crappy themes, but simple)
Peace out.
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

GAWEBGUY wrote:

My view of the S-Drive is that for people who are not webmasters it is a great help. Basically the software is giving them skills that they do not have.

Thank heavens for that !!!!!.. I type all my garbage take the top of my majic ball, and pour it all in, screw on the top, and throw it at the USA, 30 seconds later i have a website that makes me daily retail sales with not only no shopkeeper overheads, but also not having to pay a website developer a fortune for his or her knowledge, and a monthly or annual fee for next to nothing afterwards.

Surely the (word this carefully) majority of technically able programmers, with html knowledge and 100 or so websites under their belt, would not waste their time buying a coffeecup program, and fathoming out how to use it, they would right one of their own.

GAWEBGUY you rather sound like a very good friend of mine, he has read all the books, writes code in all the main computer languages, and is on £60,000 per year as a result.

He laughs his head off at me and my coffeecup programs, and at the same time is in awe of the fact, that 3 years ago this total technophobe tried to write my own website and shopping cart, within 2 months it was live, found by google, and taking regular sales.

I only use CC programs VSD , flash firestarter, googlesitemapper, SCCP, SCDP, Web image studio, photogallery.

The old form builder was my 1 stumbling block, totally hated it, new one je taim

Horses for corses so to speek, this horse only knows how to use this corse, and CC forum is here for each of us to help one and other with the little, or lot we have learned along the way, not for a slagging match

Twice in one day i have had a rant in here , merry Christmas.
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

The Flash form builder was easy, but it's just not so useful anymore (thanks Ipad/Iphone!). I have very little coding experience, so did a lot of hunting for a non-Flash form builder. The easier to use programs are hosted on the form-builder sites and require subscriptions. That didn't appeal to me, so I was very happy when CC put out the HTML/CSS FormBuilder. I expected a bit of a learning curve, but I own the software (one low payment–no monthly fees) and can put up as many forms as I like – without having to create them from scratch.

So many users found the Flash form lacking if more than pretty simple functions were needed. The HTML version offers so much more functionality, yet I was able to set up a simple contact form in a matter of minutes, and I'm sure there will be plenty of help here if I want to do something more complex.

I guess what sucks for some has been a real treat for the rest of us :D
And I don't think GoDaddy is exactly a paragon of great customer service. I don't think any other software/hosting company offers the same level of support as Coffee Cup - Where else can you get the 'Head Honcho' himself to spend the whole weekend helping you out? :D
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 2010991 Photo

73 posts

GAWEBGUY wrote:
"CoffeeCup is maintaining the servers, you can rest assured that your site/shop (or add-ons) that you create with CC software WILL WORK with no hassles I'm sure you remember the GoDaddy fiasco from earlier this year, where NUMEROUS subscribers had to scramble because their forms were rendered useless due to a change that GD implemented."

Again, a third party, still....
If Coffee Cup goes down, then what?
Plan for the worst when you have MANY websites.
One email to Godaddy, my hosting service, and the problem was fixed.
We are "dancing around" the issue.
You have created a form that requires several steps to enable a simple captcha.
I'll leave this subject alone as many think it's "no big deal".
Personally, the old one was much better.
(Crappy themes, but simple)
Peace out.

I have to weigh in on this I too was frustrated with the new form I did not understand it. I never added re-captcha before because I could not figure it out. Well the new form is out I pick the re-captcha box go to thier site read the directions get the code paste it into the box and now I know how to do it. I also have a hard time trying to do the html email response so i did a little reading and now i have the response the way i want it. Guess what its also from alot of help from Scott and others on this board that have helped me. Now once I created one form i use it as a template and use the sdrive to test it. So to come here and offer that the program S@#s its your opinion yes the flash form was much easier to use but i can say i lost a lot of customers that have iPhones and IPads because they could not see my forms.

Just my opinion
Scott
And trust me I am a novice and have no idea about code writing but I figured it out by reading trust me once you do one form the rest will be as easy as the flash version
Scott

A novice at best
User 2312005 Photo

59 posts

I am a novice here. The last time I built my website was about 5 years ago and I used a different software that I don't want to name here. There was almost zero help from the "insiders" and very little on the forum. Form was none existent. I had to code a formmail that I found on the internet and it took me many, many hours. I found CC a great and very intuitive software. I already finished my website and soon I will be making some additions, changes, etc. I am sure I will find lots of help here if I need any like just recently when Phil helped with adding a "Reset" button to the form.
No offense GAWEBGUY, but if you really own a 100 websites you should just offer help to people on this forum instead of complaining on complexity or difficulty of CC programs.

Just another opinion.
http://www.ericphotoart.com - my website
http://www.istockphoto.com/ericsphotography - my stock photography profile and portfolio
User 2733 Photo

Ambassador
426 posts

GAWEBGUY wrote:
I own over 100 websites and can't figure out your new new form builder.

In this post you wrote, "over 140 sites." When ranting, please regurgitate your inflated numbers consistently.
Let's not get all hurt.
User 6230 Photo

48 posts

Not sure I understand...I have 1 website, no S-Drive, and have implemented two Web Forms on the site with hardly any issues. Nothing that I know of relies on third party websites...

I did like in the Flash version you could place the fields anywhere you wanted. I assume the less flexible placement is a result of the HTML/CSS usage. I do like Flash, just wish it could play nice with the phones and such, but not going to happen it seems.

I also realize this is version 1. I'm sure enhancements will be made... :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.