Help with Inserting an Alternative...

User 455115 Photo

19 posts

I don't like the new Web Form Builder's Captcha because its texts are so difficult to read in comparing to the old version. I found a simple alternative code from http://myphpform.com/form-spam.php and I want to install it. I need someone shows me how to install it. I would be appreciated and thank you for reading.
Thien
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

With WFB you can insert the initial code in a html box however you cannot check it unless you modify the forms php not recommended or process it after.

I have had forms on my site for over 15 years and I get an average of 800hits per day and about 40 form fills over 8 forms/day. I direct to a gmail account. I get a few strange comments. Mass spam, gmail takes care of and to me a captcha puts visitors off from filling in the form.

Try without for a while and see the increase in visitor interest. It is only an option as people request it but not visitors. Think do you like filling in Captcha's. I know the hell I don't.
The Guy from OZ

User 1744013 Photo

89 posts

Oh thank, you thank, thank you CoffeeCup!
I'll post this in the "Tips" section as well. I'm also of the belief the Captchas are an abysmal way to fight spam. Too hard to use and some overhead for processing as well. With the addition of the Regular Expression field in the update you've fixed it for the majority of us users just looking for a simple to implement method.
I haven't explored much with the Regular Expression field but try this:
1) Add a Regular Expression field and give it a Label name, say Spam Fighter
2) Go to properties and select RegEx: Custom ( you can of course use the pre-selects )
3) Fill in something, I used “Spamfree" between the / / (There is a good explanation of many other things you can do in the Help file)
4) Set the Max. Length in this case 8 characters and Field Options: Required
5) Enter directions in the "Friendly Hint" such as - "Help us fight SPAM! Enter "Spamfree" here"
6) Save and publish
The form will not validate and send without the user filling in exactly what you've put between the //s.
Wonderful!
James Rook

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.