Automatic Reference numbers - Post ID...

User 2375540 Photo

1 post

I have designed my form but what I am struggling with is I need each form to have its own reference number so that we can keep track and it is easy to find.

I also need to find a way that I can recall that reference number and form if I need to make changes to it. Is there anyone that can do this or advise?
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Neill,

What exactly is it that you need a reference number for? Finding the form to make changes to it is not hard since you name each form differently. You can easily add a reference number in the name of the form itself too.

If you mean you want to be able to see where the results are coming from (such as you have multiple sites that have the same form on them (but different name of the form of course) then you can add a hidden field that you can put a reference number into. When you do this it will come back to you in the results, but your users will not see that field. This gives you the ability to track which sites are working better than others and such. Same tactic as advertisers in magazines use to track which publishing is getting them more business.

The hidden field is part of the elements you can add within the program, look around and you'll find it I'm sure. It's not something that gets anything entered into by the user of course and you can put a reference number within it and that will be included in the results for you to know where it came from. You would of course need to duplicate your form, save it with a different name and then alter each of the hidden fields with different information in them to accommodate your needs.

Other than this, truly there is usually not much need for this type of thing if you code your results email correctly so that it says the reference number you need or words you need as part of the Subject line, or in the Hello caption area. Easier than messing with a hidden field really, but both work great if this is what you need.

If you have something else in mind let us know.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,193 posts

This is where the referer url would be handy.:)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

There is one other unique bit of info that can be used. Each form input is time coded if saved as a csv or DB. this could easily be added to what Jo has said to give what form and what time an input was given.
This could be turned into a reference identification for that bit of info.

I do not know if it is widely known but a csv file can be imported into Excel, Access or equivalent and manipulated at will. then you have the power of a full reporting engine. WFB is so adaptable to any situation
The Guy from OZ

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.