Alternative to Captcha - AreYouHuman...

User 125842 Photo

Ambassador
69 posts

I hate those captcha - sometimes takes a few times to do it right....

a new interesting alternative came to my attention today:

http://areyouahuman.com

take a look and see if you like it.... perhaps we can get it integrated into the Form Builder at some point...

It did not play well with my BlackBerry OS7 device, BUT - it played on my Desktop and Playbook...
Captcha is almost of no use as well on the mobile phone, so we do need to find a small-screen-friendly version anyway....

User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Someone suggested using the regular expression on this forum if you search.

Personally I detest any form of captcha using it on my forms or filling one in. I think it was chicken little who convinced folks that spam was rife. I have had the same site for 10 years with a form that has changed from manual to flash to this version and yes I have had spammers, I direct all traffic via gmail then to my own box. I do not get many, I get over 500 unique hits on my site a day. probably if that was in the 10's of 1000's it may be different who knows.
The Guy from OZ

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Well anyone that doesn't think spammers utilize your forms, then you haven't seen what my inbox looks like without a Captcha in place lol. It's extremely needed, useful and definitely deters a large portion of the spammers out there. Gmail does not catch 75% of the spammers that go through a form that is on a website. I use Gmail for my main email address and although it does catch most normal spam (and a few non spams lol) it doesn't do well with a form you're trying to get information from without having to do a billion filters which is a bit redundant when a Captcha can limit it for you :)
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Amazing, maybe cause I give freebies away or my sites are not as popular as yours or maybe because every spammer gets their ip banned. I think I must be running out. Perhaps you could send some my way :o
The Guy from OZ

User 125842 Photo

Ambassador
69 posts

Prism wrote:
Someone suggested using the regular expression on this forum if you search.

Personally I detest any form of captcha using it on my forms or filling one in. I think it was chicken little who convinced folks that spam was rife. I have had the same site for 10 years with a form that has changed from manual to flash to this version and yes I have had spammers, I direct all traffic via gmail then to my own box. I do not get many, I get over 500 unique hits on my site a day. probably if that was in the 10's of 1000's it may be different who knows.

Some of my customers, who don't use captcha, get hundreds of forms "filled out" every day,.. some are just blanks - others filled out by robots with tons of Spam messages and links... whilst others don't get any,... well - some actually do get a blank form every time a search robot visits as well... but - no spam or anything... So it has all to do with what users you have and how "lucky" they have been.

But - most captcha solutions are not any good for humans - and for businesses relying on visitors to fill out forms - cannot risk loosing a sale from web-users not being able to correctly read captcha and skip the whole form...

So - we do need solutions - liking it or not....
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Morton I had a go at looking at that site you put up and I get a 404. You are probably right, I must be lucky I guess if I was suddenly under threat I would be paranoid too.
This was put up by Hazy. It is one solution.

I haven't explored much with the Regular Expression field but try this:
1) Add a Regular Expression field and give it a Label name, say Spam Fighter
2) Go to properties and select RegEx: Custom ( you can of course use the pre-selects )
3) Fill in something, I used “Spamfree" between the / / (There is a good explanation of many other things you can do in the Help file)
4) Set the Max. Length in this case 8 characters and Field Options: Required
5) Enter directions in the "Friendly Hint" such as - "Help us fight SPAM! Enter "Spamfree" here"
6) Save and publish
The form will not validate and send without the user filling in exactly what you've put between the //s.
Wonderful!
The Guy from OZ

User 125842 Photo

Ambassador
69 posts

Prism wrote:
Morton I had a go at looking at that site you put up and I get a 404.

Hmm... did I type a bit to fast,... again,,.,, huhh...

let's try again: http://areyouahuman.com/

:P
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

hehe ya I guess you did, you just forgot the http:// in the first post, I fixed it for new visitors that see the post though :)
User 125842 Photo

Ambassador
69 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
hehe ya I guess you did, you just forgot the http:// in the first post, I fixed it for new visitors that see the post though :)

thanx for putting a little "human" touch to it... at least it blocked "robots"....:cool:
User 1744013 Photo

89 posts

Hi Morton - I'm also a hater of captchas for a lot of reasons. I also didn't want to use any third parties or such to deal with spam. When CC added Regular Expressions I found you could work with them as "validators" - that is, if the field is not filled in EXACTLY as the expression is written, the form won't post. Prism posted that info above and it's also in the Tips and Tricks thread. I believe it was Jo Ann that suggested you could also use an image with text on it or you can have the form user fill in the name of the image after you carefully describe it. (What is the 3 letter name for a domestic feline pet? CAT) The expression can be written to accept all caps, lowercase, a mix, letters or numbers in only a certain sequence. They give you almost unlimited control over what goes into the field. Try it, I think you'll like it.
James Rook

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.