Need a Calandar with pop up info -...

User 13513 Photo

4 posts

Hello,
I'm sure someone has done this before. ANY suggestions etc. welcome. I need a calandar for our boat club web site. Standard month view where I can input event titles. When the user clicks on the event a window or popup view will give details...

For example Tuesday may have "Rattlefish Run" when you hover over it or click on it the details will pop up "Meet at marker 2, estimated arrival 11:30 at the bar bla bla bla"

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm not a programmer I just fake it rather well. :cool:

Being able to look ahead 2 or 3 months also a plus....

Thanks

Stephanie
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

I don't think you'll be able to find anything real simple when it comes to calender apps. You probably will need to get into PHP and mySQL unless you just want to make a calender out of a table and fill it manually every month.
Well, here is a starting point http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php take a look at it. Of course not knowing what server you are running on makes it rather difficult to suggest anything.
Alfred
User 128349 Photo

23 posts

phpEventCalendar is a good one :D
User 13513 Photo

4 posts

Thanks for the replys! I suppose it's about time I learned something new. Our website is mirabaymariners.org hosted by LunarPages. I'm not sure of the server but will find out.

Do you think I'll need PHP and mySQL? Can I download these apps or do I need to run to the store? Where to start? I confess to not being one to RTFM... think I can download the phpEventCanladar, get PHP and hack away? Anything I'll need to set up on the host site?

If nothing else I hope my ignorance is giving you a good laugh!

Thanks!

Stephanie
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

You need to ask your Service provider if you are able to Use PHP and MySQL. PHP is a server side language and MySQL is a database. The PHP script I mentioned in my last post is downloadable for free and it works real well. I did try it out last night and found it relatively easy to install, took about 15min., but I would say you do need a bit of knowlage of PHP and MySQL and how to basically set them up. If you do one setup you'll learn so much you will wonder why you have not tried PHP sooner. If your service provider is not able to offer MySQL, change providers or look for a PHP script which uses a flat file database. Doing a quick search on google under "PHP Calendar" revealed a punch of them, so there should not be a shortage of applications. Let me know if you need any more help.
Alfred
User 13513 Photo

4 posts

phpBB, mySQL.... Blissfull ignorance is no more, I'm delving deeper and deeper.... I forget to breath.... the mist surrounds me... I have glimpses of sunshine between clouds of grey..... or is that one of my children smearing food on the window? what does it mean? So, anyway in my quest to get the calandar going I found a BB app to try out first. LunarPages supports PHP and mySQL so I set up a database, installed the BB and am now tweeking that. Pretty straight forward but inevitably there is only one default database. Can two apps use the same database or do I need to pay for another one? I'm just about brave enough to insall that calandar but need to know the db question first. Thanks so much!
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

You can use one database for all your applications you are just using different tables. Some applications allow you to use a table prefix, I would make sure to use that feature, it assures you that you don't end up with the same name for two tables. Good luck and have fun with PHP, it is a truly usefull language.
Alfred
User 13513 Photo

4 posts

Any idea if this calendar uses Wget? LunarPages disabled a calendar they used to have due to a security problem in the Wget function and now the forum guru's say I need to find an app that doesn't use that function at all.... :mad:

Thanks for all your input Alfred!
User 8660 Photo

858 posts

Unfortunately I do not know if this command is used or not, I think it is a UNIX command, you could open the php pages in the Editor and do a search.
Alfred

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.