Drreamweaver CS4 inserting SWF -...

User 512274 Photo

4 posts

Here's an interesting problem. With Dreamweaver CS4's new way of inserting Flash into a page, my calendar conflicts with another Flash object I have on the same page making the page load incorrectly, slowly, or not at all. If I take the calendar off, the other Flash and hence the page loads fine.
Is it because both are inserted diffferently and what is a good way of overcoming this?
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,073 posts

Just use the code the calendar software generates instead and make sure DW's prefs are set so it won't try to modify the code.
User 512274 Photo

4 posts

Tried that. Still makes a conflict of some sort. I suspect it's a combination of CS4 and IE8.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,073 posts

Do you have a test url we can look at, or can you post the complete code for the page (or attach it)?
User 512274 Photo

4 posts

here are two test pages:
the first:
www.knox.vic.edu.au/test.html has a flash banner at the top together with the calendar mid way down. The banner is inserted via SWFObject in Dreamweaver CS4 and you can probably see, it doesn't show.

the second
www.knox.vic.edu.au/test2.html has the same flash banner but no calendar is inserted and it appears fine.
User 463058 Photo

Ambassador
1,073 posts

Starting at about line 221, you have this code:

<div id="rightcontentLower"><script type="text/javascript" src="calendar/swfobject.js"></script><div id="CC8745800">Form Object</div>
<p>
<script language="" type="text/javascript">
var so = new SWFObject("calendar/mycalendar.swf",
"calendar/mycalendar.xml", "200", "220", "7,0,0,0",
"#FFFFFF");so.addParam("classid",
"clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000");
so.addParam("quality", "high");so.addParam("salign", "lt");
so.addParam("FlashVars", "ww=200&hh=220"); so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
so.write("CC8745800");
</script>
<!-- start of freefind search box html --></p>

Replace all of that with the following code, which doesn't rely on scripting that can conflict with your banner.

<div id="rightcontentLower">
<div id="CC8745800">
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="calendar/mycalendar.swf" width="200" height="220">
<param name="movie" value="calendar/mycalendar.swf">
<param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF">
<param name="quality" value="high">
<param name="salign" value="lt">
<param name="FlashVars" value="ww=200&hh=220">
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
Get <a href="http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/">Adobe Flash Player</a> to view Calendar.
</object>
</div>
<p><!-- start of freefind search box html --></p>

Personally, I would use

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">

so IE always uses it most standards compliant mode. IE8's emulation of IE7 doesn't render things quite the way the real IE7 does.
User 512274 Photo

4 posts

many thanks. I'll try it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.