The problem with these forums - Post...

User 2733 Photo

Ambassador
426 posts

On the heels of this post, I want to again stress how these forums need better handling, pruning and care by the "moderators." I last counted 5 moderators of these forums NOT including Scott S.

While Kim R. and Darce J. make it very clear as to what a forums' topic is and how to post (nice job), there are dozens of irrelevant, superfluous and gratuitous posts littered throughout these forums. This makes said forums less effective in disseminating useful information.

Now, I understand that "we" (read: Ambassadors/Advisors) are expected to put forth a friendly vibe to those seeking help with an issue. We even mock up examples for people who need a jumping off point. In this regard, "we" are doing our job.

That being said, "we" also need to be responsible for pruning, editing and deleting topics and posts that serve no useful purpose. Those of us who care enough to report a post rarely see any results of our speaking up, (names withheld) and the topics and posts remain.

I'm not certain that the "moderators" (I use that term loosely) here in the forums understand their responsibility. Being a "moderator" means you monitor these forums, edit posts that don't follow forum rules, delete inappropriate topics and posts and delete users who don't respect forum rules. It isn't a democracy here. There needn't be a quorum when deciding how to respond to, edit or delete a topic/post. If a moderator finds inappropriate content; edit or delete it, immediately. No need to convene with other "moderators" to get another opinion before taking action.

Oh and before someone spouts off about censorship, think again. Editing posts, deleting irrelevant content and deleting rouge users isn't a violation of your civil rights (in the US). These forums are the property of CoffeeCup Software. They (and their agents) reserve the right to do anything they please with our topics, posts, user data, etc.

--//

I just want to bring to light the realization that "we" have to wade through dozens, dare I say hundreds of dispensable topics and posts to find useful information that help us use CoffeeCup products.

The fear of hurting someone's feelings because of deleting their extrinsic topics/posts is stifling the forums viability as a learning resource.

Please, please either make me a moderator OR take some responsibility and clean this place up. For all of us.
Let's not get all hurt.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Hey Dave, I understand your concern and it's nice to know you really seem to care for the forum and community. Not to say some don't slip through the cracks, but I don't think it's really been that bad with spam. You dare say hundreds, but I'd lean more toward dozens. ;) I looked through the Report submissions in the last year and there were only 10 reporting spam. 5 were submitted by you. Now, I'm definitely not saying the actual spam count is anywhere near that low (I know it's not). If anything, I'd encourage more people to report as you have (take that as a "thank you").

I figured, worst-case scenario, spam posts will go un-replied, eventually getting bumped pages down and finally end up in the archive where it goes to "eat applesauce." I also assumed most people browsing the topics were more likely those looking to help others, rather than those looking for answers. I would hope people searching for particular answers would use the Search option, but then we'd probably see a lot less repeated questions. I just shut down my own assumption. :P

In this particular spam thread, it was more obvious to you than to others. There's no hyperlinks given (well, there's URLs, but not clickable) and the question was posed as which is better, not completely selling one in particular. However, Googling that post will show up in dozens of other forums word-for-word. After that kind of finding, I'd typically delete and/or ban.

I told the other advisors I have no problems busting out the banhammer early on, but I honestly haven't been on as much lately and missed the post you linked. A good rant is always helpful in lighting a match under someone, so I'll take it as constructive criticism. That was the intention, was it not? ;)
User 2733 Photo

Ambassador
426 posts

Adam,

I appreciate your response but it focused on spam and my post was about so much more.

Here are some examples of how these forums are getting out of control. And, before anyone chimes in with, "the moderators are volunteers.." I understand but volunteers don't always do excellent work.

--//

from the forum..

Our Design Software
Post your questions & comments on HTML Editor, VisualSite Designer, Direct FTP, Color Schemer, Stylesheet, Free HTML Editor or Free FTP

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … ff-and-ie/ (wrong forum)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … ion-error/ (wrong forum)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … y-in-them/ (wrong forum)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … n-website/ (wrong forum)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … site-with/ (wrong forum)

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/our-des … tware/css/ (wrong forum)

There are 28 pages of this particular forum. These links above are from this month only. Most of them belong in Website Design and Development. After several pages of misdirected topics and posts, the usefulness of this forum is lost. Some people search for answers, some not. Those who don't skim the topics. Enough said.

I'm not calling anyone out for their lackluster "moderator" performance. I'm just saying.. the role of a moderator is much more than "change your username to something other than your email so you don't get spammed."

I'm not crabby but I'm very passionate about helping people who need help. It's hard to do that when posting useful information for users that gets buried in the detritus of nonsense forum topics and posts.
Let's not get all hurt.
User 132952 Photo

Ambassador
3,120 posts

Well Dave, do remember the moderators are volunteers. haha j/k
Points taken and I can't really argue since I mostly agree. I could list my excuses of being busier than usual at home and work (& sick), but that doesn't cover the entire portion of my overall slacking. Of course, that's all "me" & "I" as I can't speak for others, but I know from our own conversations that they're even more busy than I am, at least lately.
Thanks for the motivational kick in the rear. I need one of those every now and then. ;)
User 3 Photo

Administrator
1,371 posts

Dave,

Just wanting to follow up on this now that we are on the new forum system. Are you still seeing things that need attention? If so please feel free to contact me directly about them and I'll get them resolved.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.