An honest question . . . - Post ID...

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

I didn't want to ask this in the HTML Editor section because someone may take it the wrong way.
How can anyone ever create a responsive website with the HTML Editor? Wouldn't that take an extremely long time?
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Ernie Hodge wrote:
I didn't want to ask this in the HTML Editor section because someone may take it the wrong way.
How can anyone ever create a responsive website with the HTML Editor? Wouldn't that take an extremely long time?

Time is relative, using any HTML editor to create a website can be time consuming or quick depending on what you compare it to and how good you are (maybe experienced is a better word)
One also needs to ask why do you ask?
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Ernie, I did exactly that for some years, started in 2012, I think. It was before we had any of the responsive CC programmes. I knew nothing about Frameworks, but I had seen examples on how to change out fixed widths with %-ages, and how to make images responsive by creating a div with % dimensions and let the images use 100% of the space. My first attempts were not super, but they worked. I was learning flex around the same time. My problem was of course creating responsive menus, but I used flex positioning and changed between direction row and column where necessary. It certainly took more time than it does in SD, but not a whole lot more time. After some two years I came across Bootstrap. I downloaded the files and used the Editor to create sites. In 2016 I had my first steps with RFF.

I can think of at least one reason why some people still prefer using the Editor to SD and such. I have to do some manual coding these days for a site I'm working on, and I'm astonished at how much practical coding, that used to be second nature to me, that I actually have forgotten. I have made some errors now that I would never have made some years ago.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Wayan Jaya Space Cadet wrote:
Ernie Hodge wrote:

Time is relative, using any HTML editor to create a website can be time consuming or quick depending on what you compare it to and how good you are (maybe experienced is a better word)
One also needs to ask why do you ask?

I saw a post in the HTML forum and don't understand why anyone would do that when we have programs that do all the heavy lifting. Maybe people just don't want to spend the extra money or they have all the time in the world.
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Inger wrote:
Ernie, I did exactly that for some years, started in 2012, I think. It was before we had any of the responsive CC programmes. I knew nothing about Frameworks, but I had seen examples on how to change out fixed widths with %-ages, and how to make images responsive by creating a div with % dimensions and let the images use 100% of the space. My first attempts were not super, but they worked. I was learning flex around the same time. My problem was of course creating responsive menus, but I used flex positioning and changed between direction row and column where necessary. It certainly took more time than it does in SD, but not a whole lot more time. After some two years I came across Bootstrap. I downloaded the files and used the Editor to create sites. In 2016 I had my first steps with RFF.

I can think of at least one reason why some people still prefer using the Editor to SD and such. I have to do some manual coding these days for a site I'm working on, and I'm astonished at how much practical coding, that used to be second nature to me, that I actually have forgotten. I have made some errors now that I would never have made some years ago.

I'm not saying don't use the HTML Editor at all but I just think in this day and age people's time is a lot more valuable and should be considered. I understand how you are using it for 'some' manual coding. It just sounded like in the post I read it was all that was being used to build a website. I hope I misunderstood that post.
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Wayan and Inger,
Thank you for your responses and I appreciate what you shared.
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Hi Ernie
As I said it depends on what one is good at, a person who is really good at code both html CSS js etc can do something as good as if not better than someone using wyswyg (not necessarily SD) and quicker, has more control over what goes on and is not limited to what the wyswyg app and what one can do with it. Someone that is good at using wyswyg and knows their way about the app can turn out out something quicker than someone that doesn't yet know.
So if you don't know your way around any wyswyg app there is a huge learning curve as I am sure you remember, so why purchase something that is going to take longer to learn cost involves additional expenditure. In my case the decision was purely a visual thing I found CC RLM first and decided to give it a look-see the thing that impressed me was the visual to be able to see what it looked like as I did it was great.

I still use Dreamweaver for really complicated sites and sometimes a mixture of both ways after exporting a project

I have one person who was part of my team before who still uses html, cold fusion and a couple of others and watching him is like poetry in motion, get him into site designer and he is like a lost sheep.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

That's kind of the answer I was looking for. I guess I need to work on how to ask a question. :D

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.