Target site content verification...

User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

I've looked for this on the web but couldn't find it. There are a lot of link checkers, but I couldn't find this particular solution.

I would like to be able to verify, for each link on my website, that particular information on a target site hasn't changed. For example, I would like to be able to run a program that extracts my site's links into a table's column. In the adjacent column I would add information that must remain at the target site in order for my link to be considered valuable to me. If the target site removes a particular text string, an image or html script, I would like to be automatically alerted to the fact so that I can edit or remove the link.

The table should be broken down or sorted into sections by my site's pages. Finding the location of the link on my site needs to be easy.

I would also like to set the frequency with which the program runs checks, for example daily at 1:23 am. A nicety would be to to set an overall testing frequency but select specific tests to occur with a different frequency, or to set up different tables that run at different times (I'm just thinking out loud here).

Linkalarm offers some interesting features, but I don't like programs that continuously charge for their use. One feature of interest is their "Find stale content" which can also check to see if a page has been modified after a certain date. (See http://www.linkalarm.com/features) Since most of the pages I link to are static and are either there or an 'oops' page is shown, even that simple test would be of value to me.

Not all target sites return a 404 error code when a page is removed; some simply put up a page saying that what you're looking for isn;t there. In that situation I don't think your average link validator reports a problem.

User 1991419 Photo

19 posts

In my particular case, the links go through redirects, sometimes more than one. For example a tinyurl redirect, an affiliate link, etc. Even the target page sometimes redirects as they monkey with their database. So the software needs to follow the redirects and then scan the content.
User 45495 Photo

2 posts

Was this functionality ever introduced into any of the standalone CoffeeCup programs, like the Site Mapper? I maintain a website of over 300+ pages, and I would love to have a link-checker that would either alert me to broken or changed/redirected links once a week (or at least provide a report on request).

And I'd much rather it come from CoffeeCup that almost any other software provider...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.