Great Idea, A (Database Management...

User 447329 Photo

3 posts

What would be great is....

A database management tool that provides easy access and manipulation possibilities for any database on the Web. Designed to suit all users from beginners to experienced developers,
Having the ability to search, add, edit, delete and export data in MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, MS Access, and Postgre databases.

PHP or ASP linux or Window Server

Maybe have the ability to develop easily and quickly and without ANY knowledge of coding or programming knowledge. You simply create database fields you want and a php code generator and php form generator does the rest. ( MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, MS Access, and Postgre databases created for you automatically) . In no time produces the code that you can then upload straight to your site! In less than an hour, you can have a professional looking site just like the big designers – without ever having to write a single line of code! The software would allow you easily create manage your web databases and puts you in complete control.

I know I dont ask for much :rolleyes:
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I think that's asking a lot considering I've been creating websites for years and I still don't understand databases lol. The problem with your suggestion is that many people don't even know how to "use" a database let alone create one. I can create databases to my hearts content in my cPanel of my server, but I couldn't begin to tell you what to use them for lol. I realize they hold information, but I think a bit of knowledge would have to be picked up on this in order for a program of this magnitude to even come close to useful.

I would love to see something that simplified database creation, use, etc., but I think learning about how to use them and what they do would still be a necessity and I really don't think any newb to creating websites would be able to use something like this in a practical way. I think it would be way over the head of a person that has no idea how to code anything or how to use databases.

In the end, I think a CMS type site would be a whole lot easier than trying to manage something like this with no knowledge of site building code at all. Just my opinion, and I'd love to see something like this myself, but I do think it's stretching things just a little further than might be possible.
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

This sounds like a job for..... the amazing S-DRIVE! :cool:
Skip the database programming and store/retrieve stuff from the "cloud".

http://www.coffeecup.com/sdrive/
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

Most hosts already have a tool for that, and it's free. It's called phpMyAdmin.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 555827 Photo

7 posts

Design your database then put a link to it on your website.
User 25535 Photo

11 posts

OOO! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm learning programming languages and honestly, it hurts the head...really.

I'm happy with PHPBB Forums and other such goodies....I haven't found anything that will allow a client to upload files to your server (if there are such programs that don't require 'knowledge' they've escaped me, or I didn't look hard enough). A program from CoffeeCup that gives us this feature would be fantastic!

Katrina

User 2858481 Photo

25 posts

I don't think that it would be that hard for these guys to get into database programs. Shopping Cart Pro is a database type program. All you would need to do would be to have full access to change the tables and rows and you'd be good to go. Add an admin area to set up users and PHP to call the functions. I think they could make it happen and make it easy for the rest of us to get a database going on our websites.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.