V3 container question - Post ID 284536

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
Carolyn Borjon wrote:
Thanks Wayan. A basic video would be wonderful!

Ok
I will do one today, however,
We have moved permanently to Java now and today we are having the roof leaks fixed, a wall which looks like it's about to fall over re-built, and the electric box upgraded (more power needed & a new box fitted so I can pre-pay online, so there may be some disruption, but I will try to have something ready & available to watch by tomorrow (Java Time)

Hello Wayan,
Looks like you have a lot of repairs and upgrades to be done may it all go smooth and in a speedy time frame and not to many disruptions! No more volcano worries now?

Any chance I can also get a copy of the basic video ? Good to keep in file so I can revert back to it when needed.
Ray
Ray aka Kreations
Since 1994 Chocolate bar wrappers for all occasions.
Since 1972 helping clients help "Discover Their Dream Vacation"
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Carolyn Borjon wrote:
All the V3 questions, comments are helping me understand V3 a little better but I'm still struggling with the placement of Containers. Rows and Columns was easier for me to work with. Any ideas where I might start?

Have you considered using grid layout instead ? You only need one container set to grid and then you put all your elements inside. Making your grid layout is incredibly easy with SD3's ground breaking grid layout popup tool. Rows and columns are right there in front of you to visually see which makes it intuitive for the designer.

Once you apply a grid (which can be changed at different breakpoints) you just tell all the elements inside where to go. You can tell them to go to a named grid location on the screen, or use line placement, or mix both together. This also allows you to do something incredibly powerful such as overlapping elements easily.

I would learn grid layout because its better than rows and columns, or trying to do the math for flex layout with just containers.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

Ray wrote:
Wayan Jaya wrote:
Carolyn Borjon wrote:
Thanks Wayan. A basic video would be wonderful!

Ok
I will do one today, however,
We have moved permanently to Java now and today we are having the roof leaks fixed, a wall which looks like it's about to fall over re-built, and the electric box upgraded (more power needed & a new box fitted so I can pre-pay online, so there may be some disruption, but I will try to have something ready & available to watch by tomorrow (Java Time)

Hello Wayan,
Looks like you have a lot of repairs and upgrades to be done may it all go smooth and in a speedy time frame and not to many disruptions! No more volcano worries now?

Any chance I can also get a copy of the basic video ? Good to keep in file so I can revert back to it when needed.
Ray

Hi Ray
Next job on the list install plumbing. At the moment we don't have running water (except for the stream that comes from the mountain, which is running of course, but you know what I mean)

Western-style flushing toilet (ooooh luxury) a shower cubicle with proper shower head, instead of a bucket with holes punched in !!!

Washing pots in a proper sink instead of in a bucket,,, hehehe lots of work to drag ourselves into the 19th century,

I will let you know the location for the video when in place.
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

Twinstream wrote:
Carolyn Borjon wrote:
All the V3 questions, comments are helping me understand V3 a little better but I'm still struggling with the placement of Containers. Rows and Columns was easier for me to work with. Any ideas where I might start?

Have you considered using grid layout instead ? You only need one container set to grid and then you put all your elements inside. Making your grid layout is incredibly easy with SD3's ground breaking grid layout popup tool. Rows and columns are right there in front of you to visually see which makes it intuitive for the designer.

Once you apply a grid (which can be changed at different breakpoints) you just tell all the elements inside where to go. You can tell them to go to a named grid location on the screen, or use line placement, or mix both together. This also allows you to do something incredibly powerful such as overlapping elements easily.

I would learn grid layout because its better than rows and columns, or trying to do the math for flex layout with just containers.

Grid doesn't work for Internet Explorer and considering Internet Explorer is the second largest browser used on the www, at 14% that's the possibility of having a lot of visitors not getting a good visual experience & possibly losing them.

So unless a site gets only a few visits with I.E then one really needs to make sure that they get as good a visual experience as Google, which calls for "fallback first" (with some flexing but mostly the old fashioned Block, inline margins padding etc) Internet Explorer 10,11 can cope with a few things flexed, providing the main container wrapper for elements is set to block.

I agree with Twinstream also about Grid, but only if you know that it's not going to drive too many visitors away.

So personally when one is starting to learn new things, I believe that learn the basic stuff, get to know your way around, what it can and cannot do, before tackling what I call the more advanced stuff. A bit like learning to ride a bicycle before jumping on a Kawasaki Ninja H2R
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Hi Ray
Next job on the list install plumbing. At the moment we don't have running water (except for the stream that comes from the mountain, which is running of course, but you know what I mean)

Western-style flushing toilet (ooooh luxury) a shower cubicle with proper shower head, instead of a bucket with holes punched in !!!

Washing pots in a proper sink instead of in a bucket,,, hehehe lots of work to drag ourselves into the 19th century,

I will let you know the location for the video when in place.

Thank you Wayan,
Much appreciated - sounds like really living off the grid for now, hope it won't take to long before you can stop with the bucket and actually have a working shower.
You are 12 hours ahead of us.

Ray aka Kreations
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,454 posts

Ray wrote:
hope it won't take to long before you can stop with the bucket and actually have a working shower.

So you mean Wayan has got 12 hours to catch up with his 19th century shower? :lol::lol:
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Inger wrote:
Ray wrote:
hope it won't take to long before you can stop with the bucket and actually have a working shower.

So you mean Wayan has got 12 hours to catch up with his 19th century shower? :lol::lol:

He is really living off the grid hope Wayan has more than one bucket just in case. Would not want to go through what he is right now.
Ray aka Kreations
User 2699991 Photo

4,805 posts
Online Now

Hey guys just think of it like camping.

This is normal for where we are, rural living, etc

Sorry, couldn't get the video done yesterday, as there was too much noise going on. Will try again today.

Today they are also installing our first street light in the village (sponsored by me) Will take a photo when it is up. Monthly cost to me 2$ US ( equivalent.) :D

STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2765857 Photo

614 posts

Wayan Jaya wrote:
Hey guys just think of it like camping.

This is normal for where we are, rural living, etc

Sorry, couldn't get the video done yesterday, as there was too much noise going on. Will try again today.

Today they are also installing our first street light in the village (sponsored by me) Will take a photo when it is up. Monthly cost to me 2$ US ( equivalent.) :D

Wayan take your time more important to get living conditions up and running - always good to have light at night. Hope you get the roof fixed.
Ray aka Kreations

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.