V-4 upgrade cost - Page 2 - Post ID...

User 2719045 Photo

48 posts

Steve Warner wrote:
Wow. Kinda surprised at the price. $69 to upgrade when I spent $190 in June of 2017. What are the improvements that justify that cost? Seems like CoffeeCup is getting ridiculously expensive now.

Hi Steve

I guess that it is all relative; if you are managing a single or small number of websites with the software then yes on paper it appears expensive. We manage over 300 websites using Coffee Cup software (though only a handful currently with SD3.5, most are with RFF, we only moved over to SD because it appears development of RFF has stopped otherwise we would have stuck with RFF because we only build websites with Foundation Framework.). For us it is a reasonable price to pay to ensure that the software is being developed. The team at CC are not running a charity so should rightly expect to be paid for the time spent improving SD.

Without wanting to state the obvious you have to weigh up whether V3.5 of the software does everything you need from it and that the added functionality is unnecessary for your project(s). As Brian says above you have the licence for V3.5 and it is not going to stop working. We still use Microsoft Office 2007 - it does everything we need it to so never seen the need to upgrade.

Not sure it is the 'Rolls Royce' of apps as Wayan suggests but it is getting there and definitely beats coding from scratch with the likes of Dreamweaver which is how I started 15 years ago!! :D

Jeremy
User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

There is a further caveat. You only get upgrades for a year. So Subscription started with Red and now has been put into Site Designer. So now we should rename "Coffee Cup" to "Almost Adobe Coffee Cup" What next, a subscription that stops you being able to use the software if you don't have a subscription. Then you would be "Adobe Coffee Cup"

You will lose customers having any form of subscription as many and I include myself in this will never take a subscription to software.

I ditched Adobe for Affinity. Not as good but for the money far more reasonable. Adobe designer I got for £38.99. Adobe want £20 a month for illustrator.....No brainer
I already ditched RED looks like site designer going to meet the same fate.
I'm with Steve Warner on this one
I'll stick with 3.5 not paying any more
Tony
User 2907842 Photo

45 posts

I received the upgrade as a purchased almost a year ago. I've only spent about an hour or so with v4, and I can tell it's well worth the upgrade.

Before considering any new features.
V4 simply runs more smooth, loads projects quicker than v3.5, and is in general a better product than v3.5. With those few thoughts upgrading for $70 is imho justified. RSD is extremely powerful, and allows you to create content on par with top tier web developer. RSD in a sense it's extremely simply to use, but to really push design and creativity to the next level RSD has an extremely high learning curve. If you feel like RSD is lacking in someway. Chances are you probably just need to figure out how do it. Not that RSD can't do it.

I wholesomely support Coffeecup. Their products are good. They regularly update, and YOU OWN THE SOFTWARE.
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

In Windows, the use of keyboard Ctrl plus arrow keys for moving elements in the Elements Tree up and down at the same level, or to or from parent/child relationships is for me a great time-saver. No doubt some similar keyboard controls are effective in the OS X version.

If I were charging for preparing websites, this alone would quickly justify the discounted upgrade price.

Frank
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,456 posts

There are indeed. CMD plus the same arrows.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

V4 simply runs more smooth, loads projects quicker than v3.5

Did you run tests or is it just a feeling?

SD 3.5
Loading: Materialize theme -about 23 pages- (Bob's component demo) in 30 seconds (including preparing workspace).
SD 4.0
Same project, 23 pages, same conditions: still 30 seconds load time.

Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 2093190 Photo

115 posts

I have the feeling that I am here in a German forum. In Germany, the slogan "stinginess is cool" applies.
I do not want to hear all this unspeakable "that-is-too-expensive-discussion about software." Ever thought that the employees of Coffeecup also need a roof over their heads? Oh, and what about eating?
Any conceivable bells and whistles are added to the car purchase without complaining, but software? Why should I pay for?
The software is definitely not too expensive. It is unique.
I've been asking myself for a while, how this can work, that you get free updates for free? For me, the decision of CC, on an annual update model is traceable and correct!
Also, that you no longer get the Windows and Apple version together, I think right; I do not need the Apple version.
There are always new features added and the software is also getting faster. All this we can only get in the future, if we are willing to take money for it in the hand.
For my part, I can only say: many thanks to the team con Coffeecup, you are doing a great job. Thank you!
puncto – grafik & marketing
D - 69126 Heidelberg
https://www.puncto.info
Actually you´ll find my work here: https://puncto.coffeecup.com/
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

Uwe Schmitt wrote:
Also, that you no longer get the Windows and Apple version together, I think right; I do not need the Apple version.

Some may have both a Windows and an Apple computer. Although I agree that it would not be wrong to charge separately for each, I am not sure whether the separate charging was a policy decision or just an oversight. I did therefore yesterday ask the question of the CoffeeCup team, and will be interested to learn the answer in due course.

Frank
User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

I fully agree with regard to the criticism of the nagging about paying for upgrades. Coffee cup must live off the proceeds from the products they make. The one-off payment model for the software and annual upgrade costs for new versions is fine.
Unfortunately, some users do not understand that it is sometimes necessary to adapt company policies to market developments.
There is enough free, open source software available on the market for hobbyists with a small budget.

However, I have the impression that Coffeecup takes too much hay for a small company. In recent years, the number of products has already been cut, and as far as I am concerned, more can be streamlined.
It would also help if the products were more clearly defined in terms of target group, long-term goals and development planning. It is difficult and expensive to serve both beginners, hobbyists and professionals. More focus and making choices with regard to supported frameworks and standard components would also be welcome. With regard to user wishes, it would be useful for Coffeecup to indicate in broad lines where the focus is for further developments and to what extent certain wishes fit in there. Communication with customers is key in these matters.

I have a lot of respect for what Coffeecup have achieved in recent years. I think SD is a wonderful product (integration of form designer would make it perfect) and I think there is much to be gained with a little more focus and communication.
Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

Frank Cook wrote:

Some may have both a Windows and an Apple computer. Although I agree that it would not be wrong to charge separately for each, I am not sure whether the separate charging was a policy decision or just an oversight. I did therefore yesterday ask the question of the CoffeeCup team, and will be interested to learn the answer in due course.

The reply is that the different operating systems have always been sold separately but there was an exception that was connected with one's use of S-Drive hosting.

It seems therefore that it is only the exception that has been changed.

Frank

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.