V-4 upgrade cost - Post ID 288096

User 65069 Photo

14 posts

Jeremy Woolger. Brian Durfee. Bas. Thank you. Because of your responses I understand the rationale, the benefit and will upgrade.

I don't think I should be critiqued for questioning the cost as others here have said. I realize that Coffee Cup has to pay the bills and have no objection to paying for software. I frequently pay for "freeware" to thank the programmers. I just thought a $69 charge was excessive. Perhaps I am wrong. I will see when I look at the new product and its features.

I used to have Adobe Acrobat and dropped the subscription. I removed the product. I don't miss it. I currently have Office 365 subscription and think it's good value for money for myself and my family members. I wouldn't be adverse to subscription pricing for Coffee Cup if upgrades were included.
User 2706435 Photo

Ambassador
444 posts

Steve Warner wrote:
Wow. Kinda surprised at the price. $69 to upgrade when I spent $190 in June of 2017. What are the improvements that justify that cost? Seems like CoffeeCup is getting ridiculously expensive now.

More than reasonable. I use about a half dozen paid photo editing applications. Standard upgrade cost is 59-79. That is just what it is. I honestly don't know of another software application that does was Site Designer does. There is an excellent HTML editor that I use about the same cost for framework usage, does things like Site Designer but it is definitively more complicated and requires more CSS and html knowledge than Site Designer and it targeted to html programmers. Basically, if you use one, you would not be inclined to use the other. I have both, because I use the other one for fun, and to learn with it, as my history with html started as manual programming on a text editor. I might someday graduate to it, but html programming is *not* my day job.

Do you want to know what my Corel Draw upgrade cost will be? About 5x this upgrade.
User 2706435 Photo

Ambassador
444 posts

Tony Walker wrote:

I ditched Adobe for Affinity. Not as good but for the money far more reasonable. Adobe designer I got for £38.99. Adobe want £20 a month for illustrator.....No brainer

I am debating on dropping Corel Draw for the Affinity app. Corel Draw is getting expensive especially now with the "required" upgrade to keep upgrading with the psuedo-subscription BS they are starting next year. But, do not use Affinity Photo only for RAW editing, its highlight and shadow recovery are absolutely awful compared to just about any other application.

But to your post: The Coffeecup software will keep on working. If you end a subscription to subscription software, you may not even be able to open the files, and certainly not edit them. The Coffeecup software will keep on working. Future versions of Site Designer will get upgrades to future frameworks versions, but that doe snot require one to use them. I bet there are design companies still working in Bootstrap 3. I have original RSD applications. I can still deploy websites with them.

I do believe that Coffeecup had a misfire with RED, but that is because internet companies keep changing their standards, and it basically would become subscription anyway because every change at Gmail and the half dozen other major email companies, required changes to the software. Its subscription because changes are made very frequently across all the email companies far faster than browser changes which are first written about, tested, and slowly deployed over years. I don't know if CC makes that known or not. Their application is not upgraded every year, it must be upgraded every time an emailer is changed.
User 2660090 Photo

89 posts

If you live in the UK then $69 is £54.89 at the moment, making it a bit steeper than past upgrades. However, CoffeeCup are a small company with a small team, and I would much rather be supporting them than Adobe, who are just a greedy corporate company in my opinion.
User 2793720 Photo

66 posts

Andrew wrote:
If you live in the UK then $69 is £54.89 at the moment, making it a bit steeper than past upgrades. However, CoffeeCup are a small company with a small team, and I would much rather be supporting them than Adobe, who are just a greedy corporate company in my opinion.

I'd agree on that basis but having supported them by buying various dead end "products" content slider, CSS grid builder, foundation framer, bootstrap builder, I feel like I've done my bit and now need to fork out again for the next site designer which makes al these thigs "dead end" products.

If there was more clarity on a road map I might feel less duped.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.