Totally New and Confused: RSD v....

User 2449831 Photo

6 posts

OK, I admit it. I'm am a VERY slow learner for some reason. I purchased the Layout Maker and never really figured out how to convert my "static" site. Nor have I been able to figure out how to use it. Yeah, I'm that slow.

I purchased the Site Designer. Still not clicking, though I think a brain cell fired and I need to sit down and look again.

What is the difference between the two software packages? I'm not seeing much difference. Again, am I really missing something here? Is there a comparison list? Just curious.

Dazed, confused, and maybe just need to start drinking again.

Bill
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Responsive Layout Maker solves one of the biggest challenges in responsive design, having a flexible core which can adapt based on the viewer’s screen size. In a nutshell, Responsive Layout Maker creates a responsive prototype website (called a layout). You build the structure of your website in Responsive Layout Maker and then export to any code editor to add your final content.

Responsive Site Designer has all this and more. It can not only import your RLM project, but it can also build the structure of your website as well. This means you do not have to export your Responsive Site Designer project into an HTML editor. The big additions that RSD offers are the design layer (background images, gradients, shadow, radius, etc) and state functionality (hover, active, visited). There's more cool stuff like a web inspector tool, adding meta data and footer code, integrating and customizing font icons (1600+ icons come with the app) and more.

You see, when starting a responsive project, you should first use Layout Maker. This app helps you ease into responsive design techniques without being distracted by design details such as rounded corners, etc. That task is reserved for Site Designer. RLM makes it easy to organize the material with site elements like headings, paragraphs, buttons, and images. Then arrange, rearrange, and explore new ways of presenting the content, then adjust its appearance for all screen sizes.

Once your Layout project is completed, then you can take your RLM project and open it within Site Designer to add your styles.

If you have not done so yet, we also have a bunch of articles on RLM to help you get more familiar with how the software works. Our Quick Start Guide is very helpful when getting started with Responsive Layout Maker and Responsive Site Designer as both use the same layout/structure. We recommend taking a look at it as it explains many different parts of RLM and RSD.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2449831 Photo

6 posts

Scott,
Thanks for that explanation.
Been attempting to use RLM since it came out. Always referring to the quick start. For some reason my brain cells are not absorbing the concept. I will do as suggested and look closer at RLM, then move to RSD. Maybe a neuron will fire and all will fall into place!

Bill
User 2614236 Photo

141 posts

Dragon, keep with it. I am the same as you pretty slow and picking up new things. Must be an age thing ( for me anyway). Built my first project in RLM recently. Once I sussed out, (with plenty of help on here), what I was doing, I managed to do quite a lot. The RSD is going to be a god send because I really and still find it difficult to add CSS to an RLM wireframe. I get confused on how to access some of the classes which was pretty easy when using on against straight forward HTML. However I just keep chipping away at it.
Ok there is plenty wrong with it, and I am as much use at design as I am at hitting a golf ball straight. Not very good
www.apwphotos.co.uk for a swatch. Yes colours are awful but I'm learning.
Tony
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Very nice start Anthony! One thing I noticed is your footer at the smaller breakpoints is staying in three columns. I would move them to one column 12 span.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

dragonbill wrote:
OK, I admit it. I'm am a VERY slow learner for some reason. I purchased the Layout Maker and never really figured out how to convert my "static" site. Nor have I been able to figure out how to use it. Yeah, I'm that slow...

The post below is about using RLM and Editor, but it's mostly about the transition which is where I think most people have a hard time. See if it helps.

http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/respons … out-maker/

ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.