Scrollable Main Content - Post ID 291837

User 2699991 Photo

4,799 posts
Online Now

Hi again
For the sake of trying something out with a possible design for your new website I have been playing around with something

Now this is only a friendly bit of advice from me a professionally trained artist, designer and developer with many years of experience both "Old School and New" and I know & appreciate that you are still testing the waters so to speak so

1/ To have the "Footer" stick to the bottom of the viewport is ok, but there could be an inherent small problem, and that is when populating the centre container (the one that scrolls) you really need to consider what your visitors see, in so much as they need to be able to see that there is more to see (in other words something peeping up from the bottom) this might sound obvious but believe me there are some that won't scroll if they don't see that there is something to scroll for.
1a/ I, therefore, think that it would be better to just have the "Header" section to be fixed to the top, and the footer to be normal (i.e at the bottom of the page which comes into view when the scrolling down stops.
1/b In the footer you could place a "Back To Top Button which funnily enough takes them back to the top of the page (along with all the usual footer stuff, except for the second set of menu links (the menu sticks so they can still navigate around so you don't need to have the main navigation duplicated.)

2/ You could also consider moving the section"Why Choose My Software" up to just below the into section (what also needs a few small changes to the verbiage (reduce it a bt & don't have so many wordy bits
(an example would be along the lines of

Before you get too engrossed in exploring this site I would like to point out that Marmots, especially Italian ones, have a very diverse interest in entertainment and business. Because of this, you can expect anything to appear here. This Marmot is also known as Nick Bailey BSc (Electrical and Electronic Engineering). Formerly CEng, MIET, MIEE and MIERE.
I hope you find the software that I have to offer here on my site of value and help to you.
Nick

This covers what visitors need to read and reduces the paragraph a little, helping bring some of the central container content up a little )
3/ The next section deals with the Charity "debra" with the image & verbiage below it
3/a The verbiage should include a couple of links about what the charity is about and what "EB" is
3b/ The links to WHAT IS DEBRA? What Is EB? open in what's called a modal reveal windows which pop up over the main page, and when closed the visitor is still on that page (the modal windows don't need to contain a vast amount of information a brief outline a couple of images with links to the respective website (new window) if desired) so that they can delve further if they so wish. This achieves a number of things
a/ reduces the number of separate pages needed within the project
b/ keeps the visitor focused on the main page (unless they decide to look at further details)
c/ gives the opportunity for a few more key phrases & words to put onto the main page
4/ Next to that (in the columns side by side) would be your thingy about the photography thingy you also support Image & verbiage as normal
5/ Below that comes to the section (which is the whole point of the website) The BUTTON links to the different pieces of software, I say button links because they look like buttons ( or should be made to look like buttons that people will want to click on) below that in the same section would be the verbiage about the programs being freeware & that other thingy with the links to Wikipedia
6/ Next section would be the more detailed info about the "Software" followed by the"Hardware" followed by the other sections until the footer is reached

As I said, in the beginning, this is only my observations & trial to try get something looking like your old site (but more modern)
something to ponder about and don't need heed at all if you don't want
Should you be curious to see what I did, let me know & I will put up another video (with sound this time _ as long as the family are not asleep! ) so you can see and more importantly hear as to the how & why's

Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2026432 Photo

13 posts

Thanks Wayan and Inger.

I'll be following up in detail on everything you have kindly advised on.

Of course my website is just one place where I have used HTML. The help files/user manuals for my software are written in HTML. This was a deliberate choice as every PC has a Browser of some sort. This choice avoids users having to have Word (office suites) or PDF reader software. Also I didn't have to spend money on PDF creation software. Will be interesting to see if Site Designer can help on this or just stick to HTML Editor :)

As you will have most certainly gathered Mobile is not a target platform for my software but the PC is. Now this is no excuse to not making things more "other device" friendly for the passer by. When I originally put the site together a long time ago I want to have a simple "Top" and "Bottom" (where I could put navigation) and a Table was the best/easiest container for me to code up. Table Top, Table bottom. Everything else is/was deliberately "free form" where I could work on the fly "banging stuff" onto the page. No rigid or "predefined" layouts or concepts to think about and adhere to.

So I guess this is going to be fun. I'd also say that I really do like the way Kompozer works as it feels more fluid and freelance to work with. By that I mean that I feel like I'm working with a Document as opposed to a Web Page. An important conceptual difference. Artists work on canvas. Graphics designers etc. work on canvas. My my objective is to document as opposed to try and attract (if you know what I mean :) .

Thanks again, Nick

User 2699991 Photo

4,799 posts
Online Now

Nick Bailey wrote:
Thanks Wayan and Inger.

I'll be following up in detail on everything you have kindly advised on.

Of course my website is just one place where I have used HTML. The help files/user manuals for my software are written in HTML. This was a deliberate choice as every PC has a Browser of some sort. This choice avoids users having to have Word (office suites) or PDF reader software. Also I didn't have to spend money on PDF creation software. Will be interesting to see if Site Designer can help on this or just stick to HTML Editor :)

As you will have most certainly gathered Mobile is not a target platform for my software but the PC is. Now this is no excuse to not making things more "other device" friendly for the passer by. When I originally put the site together a long time ago I want to have a simple "Top" and "Bottom" (where I could put navigation) and a Table was the best/easiest container for me to code up. Table Top, Table bottom. Everything else is/was deliberately "free form" where I could work on the fly "banging stuff" onto the page. No rigid or "predefined" layouts or concepts to think about and adhere to.

So I guess this is going to be fun. I'd also say that I really do like the way Kompozer works as it feels more fluid and freelance to work with. By that I mean that I feel like I'm working with a Document as opposed to a Web Page. An important conceptual difference. Artists work on canvas. Graphics designers etc. work on canvas. My my objective is to document as opposed to try and attract (if you know what I mean :) .

Thanks again, Nick

As you will have seen Site Designer Has A CANVAS into which you paint your design, and then let the App do the work that you tell it to do.

There are best practices for design & development, based on
1/ browsers (any of them) and what they want their customer to see.when they visit a page, there really isn't any getting away from that like it or not, agree or not, if the likes of Google, Edge, Firefox, brave and many others, don't like it, your site will just simply disappear into the depth of the results pages
2/ The visual experience that visitors to websites have come to expect and if that first impression doesn't do it, they are gone

As you will have most certainly gathered Mobile is not a target platform for my software but the PC is. Now this is no excuse to not making things more "other device" friendly for the passer-by.

It's for everyone not only the passer-by They now ONLY index etc sites that are mobile-friendly (what they perceive to be) so the scenario could be that the only visitors you get wil bee your existing clients and no new ones

I genuinely wish you good luck with your attempts to buck the trend
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2026432 Photo

13 posts

No intention of "bucking the trend", just late to the party.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

I'm also late to the party today, so I wasn't able to see your videos, Wayan, before you had rermoved them. But I take your word for it! :D

Nick, regarding that layout from the HTML Editor, I have got the CC people looking for the .rsd file, but since it's the weekend, I won't hear anything until tomorrow, I guess.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.