Need some help getting to the next...

User 2914433 Photo

2 posts

I don't know if this is where I should post this problem or if I should enter a new Support Ticket.
If this is the wrong place, I apologise now. Let me know and I’ll try to do better next time.

I've been writing web site since Noah put the first puppy on the Ark in January 1995 writing code using QEdit text editor.
I've been busy writing Custom software these last number of years while writing my own sites and a few other customers using Web Software.
I looked at CC years ago and elected to go with a terrific program called "web Studio 5" until the guy that owned the software disappeared off the face of the earth.

Since then it’s been hit & miss with incomplete half-baked web writing tools.
So I made an investment in Coffee Cup.
I’m not sure now whether I’ve made the right decision.

After a bit of hit and miss, I just successfully finished the “Visions” tutorial.
The program has merit but all I’ve managed to do so far is write a One Page Web Site.
I looked at the templates available and all I could find were One Page sites that were 10 – 15 pages long.
When I ran the preview and clicked the menu items on the 4 or 5 page sites, I realised that all I had was a one page web site.

I want to redo one of my 5 page web site using CC.
Is there a way to lay out a web site using a Master Page with my Header, Menu and Footer and then write the rest of the web site.
I’ve given up the task of reinventing the wheel every morning.

I’ve obviously missed something here
User 2273654 Photo

755 posts
Online Now

If you already have a five page website that you know you want ... you can reproduce it as close as possible with the site designer. If your home pg is the basis and then the others are similar with changes you just copy the home pg when finished and then change it to how the similar pg's are. Delete sections change images and paragraphs add components, sometimes is better to redo from scratch. I am redoing my site workhorsepainting.com and that is what I am doing.
My CC S-drive site https://workhorsepainting.com
User 2699991 Photo

4,817 posts
Online Now

As GregB says it is sometimes better to start a project design from scratch

One way to get your header & footers on every page is to make them "Symbols" that way you simply add the "symbols to any new pages you create. then if you make changes to one symbol it changes all the other symbols the other pages.

You can always de-link the symbols whenever you like if ever you need to make a change that you don't want reflecting on the other pages. (this is particularly useful such as menu links if you want to style them differently ).

The way I would approach this would be to open a new project, place my header/nav/ footer div's onto the first page
populate them with whatever elements you wish (image/logo/header text menu bar with links etc in the header and the in the footer.

Then make them "symbols"
In the "content" tab then the "symbols "tab make sure you select the div you wish to make a symbol & click the "new symbol" button
give it a meaningful title,
repeat for the footer div

You will notice an orangy border around the div's (this indicates they are symbols

Then when you add additional pages you can then add the symbols to that page if you so desire by going to the "content" tab - "symbols" and hitting the big + sign for the symbol you want to add, boom in it goes,, repeat as necessary
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … uman-lina/
User 2699991 Photo

4,817 posts
Online Now

One thing that needs to be asked first is which framework are you using within the app
Foundation
Bootstrap
Materialize
Vanilla
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,817 posts
Online Now

Wayan Jaya wrote:
One thing that needs to be asked first is which framework are you using within the app
Foundation
Bootstrap
Materialize
Vanilla

and where in the world are you :)
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2914433 Photo

2 posts

I should've know to include this in my preamble.

I'm in Toronto Ontario Canada

I need to figure out this framework thing. This whole concept is new to me for web sites from what I was use to using.
I'm not in any hurry to replace this web site so I can work my way through the learning curve and get it right.
I think starting from scratch is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses
User 2699991 Photo

4,817 posts
Online Now

Joseph LeBlanc wrote:
I should've know to include this in my preamble.

I'm in Toronto Ontario Canada

I need to figure out this framework thing. This whole concept is new to me for web sites from what I was use to using.
I'm not in any hurry to replace this web site so I can work my way through the learning curve and get it right.
I think starting from scratch is the way to go.

Thanks for the responses

If i was you I would use the foundation framework, only because there are more users on this forum for that so you would perhaps get more assistance when you need it,, however, there are others that use the other frameworks as well so you shouls be ok whichever one you choose
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

Hi Joseph, I'd support those who are saying that it is best to start from scratch when using Siter Designer. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel, as you say, you will find some themes within the programme (provided that you have the latest version), and also the long-awaited new theme shop is eventually open for business: https://theme-shop.coffeecup.com.
One department of that shop is the component shop, which has not opened yet. While we are waiting, I have created a sharing library where I have some building blocks that can easily be made into 'components', see link in my signature.

And my signature is also revealing where in the world I am ;) (That is, where I am normally. Right now I am in Turkey).
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.