Losing File Changes - Post ID 249826

User 2660090 Photo

89 posts

I've noticed how when you add files to Resources, they do not automatically update when you make changes to them outside the RSD application. For example, I lost a number of changes in my 'changes.css' file due to forgetting to re-add it to Resources. The moment I exported my site to the usual folder, it overwrote the new file with the old one from Resources. Wouldn't it be better if there was some kind of automation to prevent mistakes like this from happening?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

That is actually correct. Files are copied into the RSD project file and not referenced. If you make changes to any file, you need to bring those back into RSD.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Hi Andrew. This might not help with what has already happened, but it might help for the future. One of the things that I do for my web sites is to have three main folders.

Exported Files
This folder holds the export from RSD.

Final Files
I do not make changes within the exported files (in the Exported Files folder). After I export, I copy the files to this Final Files folder, make any final changes and then upload. That way, RSD never overwrites any final customizations I make.

Working Files
This folder is where I put everything that is used within the project. Within my working folder, I have the following folders.
-- Images: for all the images I create before adding them to Resources
-- Navmenu: for Menu Builder files and exports
-- Buttons: for Button Builder files and exports
-- Stylesheets: for any custom stylesheets
-- Wireframe: where I keep the RSD project file

If I do any customizations to resources, it is to the files within the working folders and then I add them to RSD again. In your example, 'changes.css' would be saved in the folder: working/stylesheets. I make the changes there and then replace the file in the resources. Once that's done, then I export again.

Hope that's helpful for the future! :)
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2660090 Photo

89 posts

Brian Durfee wrote:
Hi Andrew. This might not help with what has already happened, but it might help for the future. One of the things that I do for my web sites is to have three main folders.

Exported Files
This folder holds the export from RSD.

Final Files
I do not make changes within the exported files (in the Exported Files folder). After I export, I copy the files to this Final Files folder, make any final changes and then upload. That way, RSD never overwrites any final customizations I make.

Working Files
This folder is where I put everything that is used within the project. Within my working folder, I have the following folders.
-- Images: for all the images I create before adding them to Resources
-- Navmenu: for Menu Builder files and exports
-- Buttons: for Button Builder files and exports
-- Stylesheets: for any custom stylesheets
-- Wireframe: where I keep the RSD project file

If I do any customizations to resources, it is to the files within the working folders and then I add them to RSD again. In your example, 'changes.css' would be saved in the folder: working/stylesheets. I make the changes there and then replace the file in the resources. Once that's done, then I export again.

Hope that's helpful for the future! :)
Ah, thanks a lot. That seems a much more organised workflow which I need to take on board.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.