Looking to save some time with text...

User 2792467 Photo

161 posts

It's a matter of hierarchy.
Styles defined at a high level (for instance a text style defined in a class attached to a container) works through on all elements within the container).
So if you have multiple paragraphs with text in your container they will all inherit the text style defined at the container level. No need to define the same text style for each separate paragraph.

At a lower level you may override a style defined at a higher level, so if you want a different style for text in only one of the paragraphs you select that paragraph and choose another text style.
In the text editor you may select single or multiple characters and override text style for your selection.
Of course, SD4 does not apply styles which it thinks are not appropriate for the selected element.

This hierarchy holds true for most html elements. It's not specific for Coffeecup software, it's part of the html / css specifications.

You don't have to go back to old sites to correct anything, if they do what you want them to do.

Eindhoven :: Netherlands

It's easy to see, once you see it.
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

Ernie Hodge wrote:
I'll bet there are a ton of users doing this with the inline editor and don't know what I didn't know.

Ernie.

Inger was saying the same as Suzanne's tutorial, and now Hennie has added a splendid fuller explanation.

It may well be that your creation of this thread will result in some of the "ton of users" working more efficiently with SD in future.

Frank
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Hennie,

Thank you for the great explanation. That clears up a lot and makes me happy that I don't have to go back and redo sites.
Classes and IDs have never been my strong thing but now I've learned the things that makes that all much easier.
Thanks everyone for all your replies.
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!
User 188640 Photo

895 posts

Frank,
I was writing my post the same time you were I guess.

Yes, I'm glad I started this thread and hope it will help others work much more efficiently in the future.
A Rose is Just a Weed in a Corn Patch!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.