Lazy load? - Page 2 - Post ID 294069

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,461 posts
Online Now

BTW, someone said lazy loading doesn't work in Safari. I have just tried on my iPhone6, and at least the third page, with the blurred images, works fine.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 556652 Photo

146 posts

What's the point of lazy loading. I would think you would want --FAST loading.

4,817 posts
Online Now

lwetzel wrote:
What's the point of lazy loading. I would think you would want --FAST loading.

Lazy loading means that the image doesn't load until it comes into view at the bottom of the users viewport, therefore it stands to reason that loading is faster due to the browser not having to load all the images before displaying the page to the user.
There is also a saving for the users bandwidth in so much as if there are a number of images below the viewport and the user leaves the page for whatever reason then those images are not loaded therefore using less bandwidth there are some problems associated with lazy loading so it needs to be done with some care and attention in order to give a user the best visual experience you can
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … uman-lina/
User 379556 Photo

1,536 posts

Iwetzel's question is a good one, and the technical answer is, of course, correct. The historical answer is also interesting.

The scroll was used by ancient civilisations before the Romans invented the codex (bound book) with easily accessible pages.

Apparently some customers of web designers haven't yet caught up with the Romans, but want 100 metre vertical scrolls. Clever web programmers have devised lazy loading to cope with this. It may have been called 'lazy', rather than 'delayed', because they felt it was too much work to educate their customers about web pages, the ultimate delayed loading.

Frank
User 2699991 Photo

4,817 posts
Online Now

Actually it's at times like that where I don't actually tell my clients too much tecky stuff I prefer to tell them that how cool it is for their site images that are out of view to only load when they come into view, using sites like Pinterest Unsplash etc as examples, works for me so far
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … uman-lina/
User 556652 Photo

146 posts

Thanks for the explanations and background. Makes sense now that I know. @Frank, I agree with your assessment of scroll vs. book. I prefer a screen then click to next rather than scrolling forever.

Good going guys!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.