Hit a snag with sizing following...

User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

jerry.domenick wrote:
If you were to reverse engineer a site design - So say, I saw a site that I would like to recreate the layout of for practice. Would the 'best practice' be to break that design out into the 960 grid, envision it in cells (columns/rows), and then rebuild from top to bottom in RSD?

Exactly. :) What I do is open the site in a browser, move it to one of my other screens, have RSD on my main screen (the one in front of me) and start with the grid, then I move to the first row, then the second, and when I finish the Index page, I add the breakpoints. Then, I duplicate the index page and make all the other pages with it.

I am currently working on a new article that will help walk you through the process I described above. It is a work in progress and will be done hopefully this week or next.

When you encounter things that require custom HTML, Java, or PHP, do you just put placeholders in there and then replace with code after the fact?

No, you would use an HTML Element for this. You can place any HTML, PHP, or JavaScript in an HTML Element and be on your way. You can use placeholders, but you would need to go back and add an HTML Element in the end, so why waste the time? :P

User 2802241 Photo

Trial User
14 posts

Adam East wrote:
jerry.domenick wrote:
If you were to reverse engineer a site design - So say, I saw a site that I would like to recreate the layout of for practice. Would the 'best practice' be to break that design out into the 960 grid, envision it in cells (columns/rows), and then rebuild from top to bottom in RSD?

Exactly. :) What I do is open the site in a browser, move it to one of my other screens, have RSD on my main screen (the one in front of me) and start with the grid, then I move to the first row, then the second, and when I finish the Index page, I add the breakpoints. Then, I duplicate the index page and make all the other pages with it.

I am currently working on a new article that will help walk you through the process I described above. It is a work in progress and will be done hopefully this week or next.

When you encounter things that require custom HTML, Java, or PHP, do you just put placeholders in there and then replace with code after the fact?

No, you would use an HTML Element for this. You can place any HTML, PHP, or JavaScript in an HTML Element and be on your way. You can use placeholders, but you would need to go back and add an HTML Element in the end, so why waste the time? :P

Thanks for the quick response; looking forward to the tutorial. I have not gotten to the HTML element yet in the kitty adoption tutorial. I will finish up this tutorial all the way through and then hopefully your next one will be ready... Then maybe I'll be equipped to go off into the wild :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.