download - open - document - Post ID...

User 458539 Photo

1,583 posts

Hello Forum

I have a site that has a lot of documents to open and or download. PDFs work just fine but doc files always error. They try to open in the browser and then receive an error code. So how can a make it a download only?

Byron
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

The one who opens a document will have to decide between just downloading or open in some app. I don't think you can go anything in SD, other than write an instruction. Maybe if you zip the files, they will just download.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

It may be too late now regarding the site mentioned if links have been made to a large number of .doc files, but I think ideally the files would all be converted to PDF. Word processor files (Microsoft Word .doc, Apple Pages .pages, Open Office Writer .odt) are likely to cause some people the annoyance of having not only to download them, but also to convert the files to read them.

Frank
User 458539 Photo

1,583 posts

Interesting - I need to keep them in doc format so the one who downloads can open easy and modify - they are things like letterhead, envelopes etc. Think I will try the zip option and see if that works and let you know

Thanks guys

Byron

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.