Advice on replacing an existing...

User 2961555 Photo

5 posts

New to RSD; recreating new current site. I'd love to read about how to incrementally replace an existing site. Issues around managing URLs, managing existing directories of image elements, directory structure on my development system and on my (Godaddy) web site, directories used or required by RSD. And ideally insight into SSI which is how I keep the menu structures shared.

And, I really wish there was a comprehensive user manual....
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Jim McQuaid wrote:
New to RSD; recreating new current site. I'd love to read about how to incrementally replace an existing site. Issues around managing URLs, managing existing directories of image elements, directory structure on my development system and on my (Godaddy) web site, directories used or required by RSD. And ideally insight into SSI which is how I keep the menu structures shared.

And, I really wish there was a comprehensive user manual....

Hi Jim
This is a tricky one, as it isn't possible to simply import your existing site as it is, it does require a rebuild of your pages starting from scratch (which you probably already found out)
However
to bring in things like image files /custom CSS /custom JS etc., is relatively quite easy but takes quite a bit of explaining in the written word, I am not sure if there is a manual that CC have made that describes it, there may well be and someone else may know of one,
I can make a demonstration vide of how I do such things with some of the websites I do, but cannot do it until later today as it\s 5:00 am here in Indonesia and family are still sleeping. I would also need a link to your existing website to make it more relevant to your requirements. Where are you in this World?
Mastering The Understanding With Hands-On Learning
NEW TO "COFFEECUP SITE DESIGNER" FOUNDATION 6 FRAMEWORK?
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

LEARNING & UNDERSTANDING "THE HOW TO"? THE WHY'S & THE WHEREFORE'S?
WITH WAYAN'S STEP BY STEP TUTORIALS
Contact Me For One To One Assistance
https://alphathemes.coffeecup.com/forms … an%281%29/
User 2961555 Photo

5 posts

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. But no rush, actually. My site is www.turnipfilms.com built in a very “old” way with a tiny bit of CSS and a lot of tables.

I’d love to start by replacing the home page and work out or down from there. Redoing everything before going live with the whole thing seems unwise. I have some spare domains to set up a full test site but was unsure about the URL handling of subpages.

All advice appreciated!
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Jim McQuaid wrote:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. But no rush, actually. My site is www.turnipfilms.com built in a very “old” way with a tiny bit of CSS and a lot of tables.

I’d love to start by replacing the home page and work out or down from there. Redoing everything before going live with the whole thing seems unwise. I have some spare domains to set up a full test site but was unsure about the URL handling of subpages.

All advice appreciated!

For your home page
1/ go to the tab on the top line (resources) make sure that the root (/ project-folder) is selected
click the button "add folder"
browse to your original site exported folder (or wherever you have the folder located on your hard drive with the the first images inside (film-lwm/film-cast)

select "choose)
boom in goes your folder with the images.

repeat for the other folder with an image inside (ensuring you have re-selected the root (/ project folder)

When you start building the page and you place the "picture element" in whatever container you want the image to be in, then right-click that placeholder, and "edit image" this opens your resources, go to the folder with the image you want to show, select it and then hit the blue "select" button
boom your image is now on the canvas, you can now go ahead & apply stylings/display size etc.
repeat whenever you want to add further images
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

I have had a quick look and there will need to be some fiddling about especially with the header image, although it would be better to re-do that totally in my opinion, to forin with the new way of website design search thingies & best practices.
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2961555 Photo

5 posts

Okay, so let me make sure I get this. Basically you’re saying that by properly identifying all the various folders holding images (even tho they are in many sub folders) as RESOURCES, I can then use them more less anywhere because RSD will know where to look.

Related question. When I export my site to upload, Will I see all the individual folders and files — and therefore not have to upload all the resources already on my existing site?
User 2961555 Photo

5 posts

I’ve learned that perhaps I can create my top level menu as a SYMBOL and then only need to change it in one place when it needs to change.

As far new website practices, I’m just trying to move from a 1998 design to a 2006 design. One step at a time!!
User 2699991 Photo

4,782 posts
Online Now

Jim McQuaid wrote:
I’ve learned that perhaps I can create my top level menu as a SYMBOL and then only need to change it in one place when it needs to change.

As far new website practices, I’m just trying to move from a 1998 design to a 2006 design. One step at a time!!

Of course one step at a time starting with your header no longer considered good practice to have an image banner it is preferred go have h1 or H2 rages image link or just plain images. So that search and browsers can get a better idea of the schematic and what your site is about. The me needs to be made first then apply it as a symbol which you then add to other pages when you need it on those pages. You are right about you only need change anything once which then will apply to all
STUCK ON SOMETHING?

User 2961555 Photo

5 posts

Thank you.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.