A couple newb questions. - Post ID...

User 2793964 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Hi,

I just dowloaded the RSD trial last night, was looking for a WYSIWYG tool to help me create a portfolio site for my motion graphics and game UI design work. Tried Webydo, but I'm reluctant to pay $22/mo just to be able to use their site creation tools one time. You guys seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm anxiously awaiting more extensive documentation as what's out there currently seems to just kind of skim the surface of the functionality of this software.

After using RSD for a few hours, I have a couple questions:

-Is there any way to preview the code you are creating in the interface? One thing I really liked about dreamweaver back when I was using that program in the pre CSS days, was the ability to have a split view where I could see my site preview in one window with the code I was creating below it. This was helpful because it allowed me to make sure I wasn't accidentally introducing weird code quirks while I was randomly poking at buttons and such. Their version would even let you edit the code directly in addition to the WYSIWYG interaction.

-Is there a way to make scrolling dependent animated effects using the RSD interface? You know the drill, parallax, or more generally making animation happen as the site viewer scrolls down the page.

-Can I add a video element somehow? I don't see this as one of the elements.

-Is there any way to place things based on percentages rather than absolute pixel values? I'm pretty sure I've done this in CSS where I make it so something sits at 25% of the horizontal page width. Absolute positioning in RSD seems to be entirely based on pixel values rather than percentage values.

-How long is that promotional price in place? This software seems pretty great and I'm seriously considering buying it, but I'd like to get it on sale.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

-Is there any way to preview the code you are creating in the interface? One thing I really liked about dreamweaver back when I was using that program in the pre CSS days, was the ability to have a split view where I could see my site preview in one window with the code I was creating below it. This was helpful because it allowed me to make sure I wasn't accidentally introducing weird code quirks while I was randomly poking at buttons and such. Their version would even let you edit the code directly in addition to the WYSIWYG interaction.

You can see the code now, by clicking the Inspector pane. At this time you are unable to edit it, or detach it from the right panel, but that may be something we will consider adding to a future release. :)

-Is there a way to make scrolling dependent animated effects using the RSD interface? You know the drill, parallax, or more generally making animation happen as the site viewer scrolls down the page.

Sure, you would need to add the JS to control it under the resources, and apply the proper ID's to the sections you wish to be animated.

-Can I add a video element somehow? I don't see this as one of the elements.

You would do this, by using the HTML Element and adding in your custom code or embed code from video hosting services like Youtube or Vimeo.

-Is there any way to place things based on percentages rather than absolute pixel values? I'm pretty sure I've done this in CSS where I make it so something sits at 25% of the horizontal page width. Absolute positioning in RSD seems to be entirely based on pixel values rather than percentage values.

The controls are pixels, but you can change the code by going to File > New From and choosing PX or EM based layout grids.

-How long is that promotional price in place? This software seems pretty great and I'm seriously considering buying it, but I'd like to get it on sale.

This is the cheapest it will be, as it is an introductory price. As to the time frame, it could end today, or next month. This sale does not have an expire date at this time, but I would recommend getting in on the action (because you know you love it) before the price goes up...
User 2793964 Photo

Trial User
2 posts

Awesome, thanks Adam, very helpful answers.

Do wish I had a definite end date on that sale so I knew how long I had to make my decision, but hey, sales tactics, what are you gonna' do.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

youcanfindjustin wrote:
Awesome, thanks Adam, very helpful answers.

Do wish I had a definite end date on that sale so I knew how long I had to make my decision, but hey, sales tactics, what are you gonna' do.

My pleasure. :P While we do not have an exact time and date, I can say, we normally keep the sale running on a new product for around a month. So, you have time to trial it.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.