Losing descriptions? - Post ID 152326

User 340457 Photo

41 posts

I'm working with a friend/client who will be using SCCPro for her site. She has managed, at least twice, to do something (I'm not sure what yet) that caused the product descriptions (and sometimes titles and short descriptions) to be 'lost'. Ie: whatever text she'd typed into those fields, for all the products, simply vanished.

Last night, I plugged a USB thumbdrive into her computer and it crashed (SCCPro was open when it crashed). On reboot, all the descriptions were gone. This is making me lean toward some kind of file corruption.

We had a talk about how she uses her computer. She usually leaves it on for days at a time, putting it in hibernation mode at night. She will open and close programs (Firefox, SCCPro, Picasa, etc) many, many times during the day. I explained to her the problem that creates for memory allocation (and potentially corruption) and suggested she shut her computer down every night and open programs and keep them open throughout the day. Again, this behavior makes me lean toward file corruption.

Finally, I notice she has some kind of anti-virus program running. That makes me wonder: are there any known conflicts with SCCPro and certain anti-virus programs?

I told her that if this were a problem with SCCPro, there'd be reports on this forum. But I can't find any. I'm hoping cleaning up her computer behavior will solve the problem.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? Any hints?

Thanks!
David Anderson
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya David,

I have never had anything like that happen since I've been using any of the SCC products. I would suggest you have her uninstall the program (back up her shop files of course), download ccleaner at http://www.piriform.com and run that. Reboot her computer and definitely tell her to turn it off at night if she's using that many programs and has bad practice of restarting them all the time.

Hopefully the ccleaner will take care of most of the nasties. Good luck on it :)
User 629005 Photo

Ambassador
2,174 posts

David Anderson wrote:
We had a talk about how she uses her computer. She usually leaves it on for days at a time, putting it in hibernation mode at night. She will open and close programs (Firefox, SCCPro, Picasa, etc) many, many times during the day. I explained to her the problem that creates for memory allocation (and potentially corruption) and suggested she shut her computer down every night and open programs and keep them open throughout the day. Again, this behavior makes me lean toward file corruption.

Finally, I notice she has some kind of anti-virus program running. That makes me wonder: are there any known conflicts with SCCPro and certain anti-virus programs?

REALLY? I have not shut down any of my computers for at least 5 months (except a quick reboot as required for updates, or to change OS's). I also start and stop programs throughout the day MANY, MANY, MANY times over. I don't think that is an issue for her.

I would start with a FULL uninstall of SCCPro, followed by running CCleaner. Then re-install SCCPro. ALSO, I would remove/disable the Anti-Virus (at least temporarily). If you do a search on this forum, you will find that not only have there been issues with various Anti-Virus programs causing problems for CC users, but there are several here (myself included) that believe that next to Windows they are the worst virus known to PC's. They are a HUGE resource HOG, to say the least.
Living the dream, stocking the cream :D
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

There were some problems caused by conflicts with AV programs on some of the earlier versions of Cart Creator, although the majority of those were to do with actually installing the program itself rather than working with data on the program. There are no known issues with Cart Creator losing item data in this way, so it could either down to corrupted files on your friends computer, or a hardware fault causing inputted data not be be stored to the correct channels, or defective drive controllers physically corrupting the data that is already on there..

As Phil suggested, try re-installing with AV programs temporarily disabled to see if that resolves the issue.
User 340457 Photo

41 posts

Thanks guys. I'll try that. Glad to see others have more faith in Window's memory management than I do :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.