Selections for a "variety pack" -...

User 2140875 Photo

367 posts
Online Now

Hi,
I am working on a shop cart here (still in trial mode): http://2goofydogs.net/trial

In the greeting cards section my customer would like to allow customers the ability to select cards that will be included in a "variety pack". I have created some of the products for individual cards and also created a "variety pack" with preselected cards in it. However, I need to find a way that the customer can click on, i.e., "customized variety pack" that would allow them to pick the 5 greeting cards they would like in their "variety pack".

I've seen where, as an example, SCCP has the ability to select like a T-shirt and have a drop down menu for the size.

I'm thinking I would need a drop down menu or something similar that would list all available cards and they could check off the 5 cards they want to include in their "variety pack".

Hope I am making sense here. If someone has a suggestion on how I can do this, or needs me to clarify what I am after, I'd sure appreciate help.

Thanks,
Galen (limited to non-existent coding skills)
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,088 posts

Hi Galen,

Yes you are right I believe that's the only way your going to be able to do this within the software itself.

Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Galen,

That would be the Optional Fields that are used for what you're asking about. You can create up to 5 totally different optional fields with I believe an unlimited number (I'm sure there has to be a limit in there somewhere or it won't fit the page lol) of options in it. So in the case of the greeting cards you would Create an optional field and in that optional field you would list each of the cards that are included in the choice for the variety pack. You will need to include however many you need up to 5 of these Optional Fields. This means they would be limited to 5 different choices they could make for their cards. One optional field for each choice.

If this isn't enough you can create the Optional Fields with multiple cards for each choice such as:

Card 1, Card 2, Card 3
Card 4, Card 5, Card 6
Card 1, Card 4, Card 9

Where each choice would be 3 cards rather than one, or something on that order anyways.
You don't have to put prices in the choices if there are no price differences for the card choices.

Do keep in mind that any time you use the Optional Fields for physical products, the Inventory function will not be practical to use as it doesn't discern between any of the options as being a single item. It counts all items within a product as the same product so the inventory counts would not represent each card, but each product.

Hope that makes sense and let us know if you need more information. :)
User 2140875 Photo

367 posts
Online Now

Thanks for the idea. I will work on that this weekend to see if I can get it to look right and to function as the customer would like.

As always...appreciate the help very much. What a great forum!

Galen

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.