Images do not fit frame on page -...

User 984019 Photo

34 posts

Hello

I am using 400x400 images for all products. Problem is the image does not fit the grey image frame on the page and leaves a white border to either side. How do I get the image to fit the frame ??? The link demonstrates the products with border in white it is also the same when in product detail view.

Titus

http://www.tnteurolures.com/Shop/TNTeur … ?groupid=0

User 2114410 Photo

383 posts

I also use 400 x 400 for my images, and they fit perfectly.

Your website images are not showing at 400 x 400, nor are the frame borders.

If you can change the settings in Designer, then you'll be able to make them fit snugly. But your images will need to be the exact size (ie 400 x 400), or larger. If you go larger, they'll need to be an exact square so you don't get any white left inside the frame. Also another consideration with going larger, they can distort. I resized all my images to an exact 400 x 400 to match the settings in my templete, and this has been the best image quality for me.
User 984019 Photo

34 posts

Thanks Bren

You are right. I checked and they are 112x333. I dont know how I managed to do that but I did :|.

I do not use designer and just use a standard template. I dare say seeing as I do not have many images the easiest way would be to change the size of the images to fit the box then use that as my future default image size. Is the box 400x400 on all templates ??

Ta
User 2114410 Photo

383 posts

I only use 400 x 400 image on the product detail page as it's quite a large image size. No it's not a standard size on templates. Usually the photo frame boarders are a lot smaller. And they seem to be rectangle, where as I made mine square.

For thumbnails I use 133 x 133 which fits 3 across a page with the layout of my text.

You can have any size you want with Designer, and it's best to play around with a template in Designer to find the best fit for your photos.

Once you work out the best size for you, if you can ensure your photos are the same size as the largest frame (if you're going to go large on the product detail page), as it will make the images look the cleanest.

As I mentioned, I resized mine, and while they look fine compressed down to the thumbnails, when they were showing at the 400 x 400 size you could see the distortion. Now I don't see that.

Good luck with it!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I believe it's bigger than 400 x 400, I use 480 x 480 and they all fit fine but they still left white space on the sides if the images weren't square.

I would definitely suggest 1 of 2 things:

1. Get the Designer Pro program so you can edit all the little things you want to in your theme(s), it's definitely worth it.

or

2. Spend time to create a backdrop for your images that are showing the white space that can match your theme better. If you look at my shop images you'll see that I created a purple backdrop with a Gold border that I then put all my images on top of so that they all look more uniform and the white space is pretty much gone that way and the background behind the images is then matching the site. Just create one in an image editor to be a bit larger than your images and that takes care of that issue pretty much.

I guess the decision is whichever evil fits your lifestyle and budget hehe, either spend money on another program to resize the image sizes (which you'll find very useful later if you decide to alter your theme at all or make your own etc.) or spend a lot of hours editing images to add another backdrop behind them. That's really about all you can do about that problem.
User 2114410 Photo

383 posts

Jo Ann wrote:
I believe it's bigger than 400 x 400, I use 480 x 480 and they all fit fine but they still left white space on the sides if the images weren't square.

Are your images 480 x 480 but compressed into a smaller frame? I'm getting confused as your product page shows your images at a lot smaller size than mine. :D

I noticed with the new templates, a lot seemed to have default rectangle frames. Maybe I haven't played around enough with SCD Pro yet as I already had my own template made.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Bren,

yes my images are 480 x 480 when added. The program may be altering the size for the a bit though, but if you right click over the zoomed image and choose View Image (or whatever equivalent your current browser has on the menu) you'll then be able to right click on the image that opens and choose Image Details (or its equivalent) and see that the images are 480 x 480. The Zoom does look just a little bit smaller but not by much, and this means you can use at least 480 x 480 without losing any image quality as you can (hopefully lol) see on my images.

This is on SCC not Pro for my shop yet, I haven't played with the Pro image sizing for my shop yet since it's been released and have a bit of work to do before I can upgrade my shop to the Pro. But in the Basic version this works just fine. In Pro you can adjust as needed also so that will help (when using the Designer Pro that is, not sure on the Designer Basic, haven't looked at that one in a while for Beta and haven't installed it at all since released with the 3.8 update so I can't answer if the Basic allows image sizing or not sorry).
User 2114410 Photo

383 posts

Okay, I get that now Jo Ann. :)

I was talking sizes for frame boaders in Designer Pro, where as you were talking about the actual size of your image, regardless of what size is in your template. That's where the confusion was for me.

I use a 400 x 400 frame (which is a large image) in Designer so I can have a very large image on my product page. I didn't test 480 x 480 image into the 400 x 400 frame, but I will one day soon as I kept the original images in their larger state.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.