S-Drive email - Post ID 178031

User 397066 Photo

107 posts

Well this actually reeks as I now have paid good money for the Webbie S Drive plan and have already built and published one site with two more to follow. Not to mention I wanted to post a storefront as well using S Drive which costs significant money. I have no ability apparently to utilize any form of domain email with CC. However I could have opened hosting accounts (albeit, costlier) with my other hosting service and maintained my own domain email.

I am not too happy about this and if I had known, I may very well have forgotten about going the S Drive route.

If you do not already have a domain email, then going to Google Apps or whatever does no good. This makes no sense to sell expensive S Drive plans i.e., esp Shopkeeper and not offer domain email. Why would I spend that kind of money on the plan when I don't even get my own email. Hello CC, Hello? I am voicing my extreme displeasure. It is not I repeat not professional looking to be using gmail, hotmail, yahoo whatever email extensions in business.

Cheesy, really. Big flaw coming from such a good company. :( See, now you know I am bummed.
Member of the lumpen proletariat. Another cog in the wheel. Possibly a major pain in the ass soon.
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

I said this before, just need to spend a mere £5.00 on a different extension of your domain name, ie .info

Now you can have as many email addresses as you like that match your domain perfectly

CC website yourdomainname.com

Email address 2enquire@yourdomainname.info

If unsure have a look at domainmonster.com :: cheep to buy, great after sales service, and you can have cloaked (in a frame forwarding) which means you can use all the mail address as well on the forwarded addresses

so typing in yourdomainname.info will find your site, display .info in address bar, and you can use the .info email addresses.

Or use .inf, or .co, or .us as STREAM address, and your .com as the cloaked address with all email access
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement
Hosted FREE on CC S DRIVE www.chauffeurdrivenluxurycars.co.uk
My new VSD & SCCP site Oct 2011 www.deloreanjewellery.co.uk
My friendly window cleaner www.mwcwindowcleaner.co.uk

User 397066 Photo

107 posts

Viv,

Appreciate the response and no offense, but why on earth would I do that? I have paid CC for not only the domain registration but also the S Drive plan as well. It is already $5 a month or whatever. I've paid. I'm done.

I could have just bought the domain and opened another hosting plan with my main hosting company had I known. P.S. It is not disclosed that there is no email when you purchase, which is very deceiving as almost any hosting company gives you a domain email with your plan.

This makes CC probably the only company that sells you a hosting plan with no email. BOO

Member of the lumpen proletariat. Another cog in the wheel. Possibly a major pain in the ass soon.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Poolman wrote:
Viv,

Appreciate the response and no offense, but why on earth would I do that? I have paid CC for not only the domain registration but also the S Drive plan as well. It is already $5 a month or whatever. I've paid. I'm done.

I could have just bought the domain and opened another hosting plan with my main hosting company had I known. P.S. It is not disclosed that there is no email when you purchase, which is very deceiving as almost any hosting company gives you a domain email with your plan.

This makes CC probably the only company that sells you a hosting plan with no email. BOO

Les, why don't you just setup Google hosted email solution? It is free and takes about 10 minutes to setup. I think the free plan gives you up to 10 email addresses. This will then allow you to have email on your own custom domain. We would have to just make a small DNS change for you, but that is about it.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 397066 Photo

107 posts

Scott,
I need a separate domain email address for each of the Sdrive accounts, (presently three). Need all of them to come and go through Outlook as my main website domain email does with another hosting company. It also looks like going through G Apps that I will have to set up three separate accounts to have three different domain extensions.

I also really don't want to get involved with the monster. It's something I shouldn't need to do really.
I did not realize until after purchase that I was stuck in that regard. HMMM.

FYI, it will be the reason I don't go for the Shopkeeper. I was set to as I am building a storefront, but that is most likely going to put the kibosh on that. Emo thing here.

No love for you on this one. Everything else, Yes.

Give me my domain email and it's on to Shopkeeper I go.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Crux of the Biscuit wrote:
Scott,
I need a separate domain email address for each of the Sdrive accounts, (presently three). Need all of them to come and go through Outlook as my main website domain email does with another hosting company. It also looks like going through G Apps that I will have to set up three separate accounts to have three different domain extensions.

I also really don't want to get involved with the monster. It's something I shouldn't need to do really.
I did not realize until after purchase that I was stuck in that regard. HMMM.

FYI, it will be the reason I don't go for the Shopkeeper. I was set to as I am building a storefront, but that is most likely going to put the kibosh on that. Emo thing here.

No love for you on this one. Everything else, Yes.

Give me my domain email and it's on to Shopkeeper I go.

According to their documentation, you can have multiple domains associated with one account, so you don't have to do this 3 times. Just one setup still.

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer. … swer=53295

The gmail hosted setup supports iMAP and Pop, so you do not have to use the web interface either. Instructions are here: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ … swer=13287

If you want us to help you set this up for your domain, just open a support ticket and let us know and I can modify your MX records for the domain you have with us.

We may at sometime offer some sort of email solution, but right now we really want to stay away from that to keep costs low. The issue isn't so much having the solution, it is the 1,000+ emails each day having to teach someone how to setup their email ancient email client. ;)

Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 397066 Photo

107 posts

Would rather pay a little more and have it included. It just seems incomplete if you are selling these packages and not including.Not offering for the free accounts,sure, but accounts I am paying for and esp with a Shopkeep plan, no. It really is not a complete professional deal. Again, had I realized there was no provision, I probably would have not purchased. Now that I know it is not there, chances are great I will not go for the Shopkeep plan. I do not have the inclination to set up a third party solution, nor do I think I should have to. I have enough accounts etc already, I don't want more.That's just this reporters opinion, but it seems others may feel the same. It's like an amplifier going only to 9. My only CC purchase that caused me consternation.
User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

I have had hosting with Bluehost, Justhost, 000webhost, heartinternet, all of whom advertise unlimited this unlimited that, & specify email accounts.

CC are advertising simplicity, no html knowledge required, & Sdrive for ease of publishing NO FTP BUT i have not seen email mentioned at all (not all cars have power steering but if you are used to having it, before buying a small 1st car for your sibling, ask if it has it, it might not)

Personally I agree the email problem is an issue, hence all my websites (BAR 1) are with Justhost, £45.00 per year unlimited everything. (I have about 10 sites on 1 package)

The one website with Sdrive is with CC so the website owner (NOT ME) can hang on to the reigns, in case I am not available he can get someone else to manage it for him (he's 65 not wanting to learn ftp etc.)

Strangely enough he also wanted to keep using his gmail email address rather than one matching his website address as he understands how that one works.

Harses for corses + he now has free hosting instead of paying £45.00 per year to Justhost !
Started using CC VSD in January 2009, I don't do HTML code, Sales from CC site exceeding expectations taken me out of semi-retirement

User 15653 Photo

233 posts

Personally I agree the email problem is an issue, hence all my websites (BAR 1) are with Justhost, £45.00 per year unlimited everything. (I have about 10 sites on 1 package)

Hey Viv, You actually have 'shops' hosted with justhost ??? I'm asking because I'm kind of looking for a place to put one as I get it ramped up from low traffic expectations on up. A just starting out price for a just starting out shop. :-)

Chris

User 539803 Photo

2,156 posts

Chris, i have on my one justhost account, two SCCP shopping carts with hundreds of products in each, and about 8 other websites, i have not even scratched at the bandwidth usage limits or space.

If you send me an email via my delorean website, i can also send you some instructions for getting the best deal out of them, if you order 5 years paid in advance it ends up costing about the same amount as 2.5 years total. (less than specified earlier in this thread)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.