S-Drive and FTP - Post ID 183165

User 2333637 Photo

114 posts

I'm not really understanding what FTP is for and definitely can't figure out how to use it. I'm using the Website Access Manager and the Web Calendar, both of which need me to use FTP, if I am correct?? Anyway, all of the instructions tell me to get my server info/login/something like that from my host provider. I'm using S-Drive, isn't that my host? I can't seem to find any information about using FTP with S-Drive. Also not getting anywhere when I try to use the FTP on VSD. It's asks me all the same information about servers and usernames and proxys. I'm so in over my head. Anyone who can answer this question in VERY SIMPLE terms will be my hero.

I read half the posts on the forums and the questions don't make sense, much less, the answers. Thanks so much.

Jen
TandemMediaUSA.com

Jen
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Access Manager is not compatible with S-Drive, so you won't be able to use that program just yet. The only programs that can connect directy to S-Drive are Direct FTP, Shopping Cart Creator, VSD, HTML Editor and Direct FTP. If you want to upload your calendar files to S-Drive, you would have to use Direct FTP or Free FTP for the uploading.

For VSD, just go to the Publish Menu and select CoffeeCup Account Settings and enter in your info. After that, go to the Pulish Menu and select Choose a publishing destination and select your address. Next click publish. All of programs that connect to S-Drive, all function in pretty much the same manner.

Am I a hero now? ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2333637 Photo

114 posts

Not yet ;) That was all so way over my head.

I'll be happy if I can get the web calendar working. I'll worry about the Web Access later.

I've created my calendar. it looks like I want it too.I want to add it to my VSD website. In the calendar program I click Export >

I'm fine until I get to My Servers. I've used this exact think before (admittedly I was winging it but it worked) when I created menus for a different site.

I don't know my server name, my user name, or my password. The Help PDF says to contact myhost provider for that information. I thought S-Drive was my server. What am I supposed to fill in on this screen?

Even if I get passed this screen, I get two sets of code. One to put on the page and one to enter between <head> and <head>. Since I made this in VSD, that's not readily accessible. I go to EDIT and then EDIT HEADER and enter the code there. When I preview it, I get a message where the calendar should be that says error: content did not load.

I really expected all of this to be much easier. Not the fault of the software but the inexperience of the user. It's so overwhelming.
TandemMediaUSA.com

Jen
User 2333637 Photo

114 posts

Another question? If Access Manager is not compatible with S-Drive, then how do I use it? Does this mean I have to host somewhere else?
TandemMediaUSA.com

Jen
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Your S-Drive account information is always the same. It is just your email address and password. In Direct FTP, click the BLACK GEAR icon and enter that account information and you will connect to S-Drive. Whenever you want to connect to S-Drive, just remember your email address and password.

The error you are getting is correct. That is because you have not included the files with VSD yet. Pasting the HTML code is just one step of a process. You can find instructions here at http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … nd-higher/

I find if you don't try and over think things, everything goes much easier. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2333637 Photo

114 posts

Yeah, I added the files under the edit menu too. Is that what you meant. I did all of that. ugh. Thanks for the link to the instructions. That will be a big help tomorrow when I tackle this again. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Curious, I know there are several book in the CC shop. Are any of them written for dummies :) I have Dreamweaver Classroom in a Book and was able to keep up with most of it. I really have very little interest in becoming the expert in HTML. I'm to the point where I am going to hire someone but I do want to know as much as I can. Are the book in the CC shop written specifically for CC? Maybe they will help.
TandemMediaUSA.com

Jen
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

All of our books are not really written for a specific program. They contain information on web practices that can be applied to any web development program.

Don't give up just yet. It all comes easier with time. If you are using VSD, that program does about 90% of the work for ya. ;)
User 1130026 Photo

3 posts

Scott,
I am not sure I understand something you mentioned about access manager. Are you saying that I cannot use Access Manager on a site hosted on coffecup, or just that I need to upload the files using FTP instead of the built in function on Access Manager???

I
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

William Poulsen wrote:
Scott,
I am not sure I understand something you mentioned about access manager. Are you saying that I cannot use Access Manager on a site hosted on coffecup, or just that I need to upload the files using FTP instead of the built in function on Access Manager???

I

Right now you cannot use Access Manager on S-Drive. We will have a solution for that later this year.
User 2701842 Photo

1 post

Like your previous questioners, I am baffled by the fact that when I first uploaded my hobby site via VSD it worked a treat:) NOW it won't work at all I have tried everything I know including the advice given to the others. I also don't want to waste my time learning html, that's why I bought VSD which I love,so far. I hosted the site successfully with another provider, why won't it upload to your S drive. I do select the publishing destination, yes I do click publish, still no joy.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.