Why Reinvent The Wheel? - Post ID 233421

User 107066 Photo

8 posts

After looking at RLM, I'm wondering you guys felt the need to reinvent the wheel by creating your own responsive CSS framework? Why not just make RLM a Bootstrap 3 layout creator extraordinaire? Bootstrap 3 is a very mature framework, used by many websites (in fact, Microsoft made it their default layout framework in Visual Studio 2013), has many more components than yours, etc., etc., etc. Also, there's not a really good Bootstrap layout maker that I know of.

Don't get me wrong, I think RLM is a great little application (I already bought a copy). I'm just trying to understand why you just didn't just use Bootstrap 3 as the CSS framework instead of coding your own.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hey Randall,

We include our own framework along with Bootstrap 2 as well. (Bootstrap 3 to be included soon. :P).

I think for any company to include just one grid system is a mistake, as what happens if that company decided to no longer update that grid system. We all know the web changes daily.

Currently, our grid system does not have a lot of the features as Bootstrap 2 or 3 does, however, that does not mean we do not plan on adding more. Remember this is Bootstrap 2, 3. We are only on Coffeegrinder 1, give it time.

With that said, no matter which grid system you use Responsive Layout Maker will make many beautiful Responsive Websites for you, and you will have many happy clients as well. :P
User 275627 Photo

11 posts

I too am a bit confused.... Just bought RLMP as I thought it would work with my bootstrap v3 stuff. My mistake I suppose, but what I was after was something that would work with a bootstrap theme and allow me to build the page layout within the bootstrap theme.

Having an internal version is all well and good but most of us mere mortals when it comes to layout design tend to rely on people creating the layout and then we make our content..... Have I missed something?

Thanks,
Larry
<? Coding Since 1973 >
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Larry Lewis wrote:
I too am a bit confused.... Just bought RLMP as I thought it would work with my bootstrap v3 stuff. My mistake I suppose, but what I was after was something that would work with a bootstrap theme and allow me to build the page layout within the bootstrap theme.

Having an internal version is all well and good but most of us mere mortals when it comes to layout design tend to rely on people creating the layout and then we make our content..... Have I missed something?

Thanks,
Larry

What is the question Larry? ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

...tend to rely on people creating the layout and then we make our content..... Have I missed something?

I think you did Larry. But all is not lost! RLM is a 'Responsive Layout Maker'. You use it to create your responsive layout. Then you export that layout to your computer. At that point you need to edit the layout with an HTML editor such as CoffeeCup HTMLEditor. Within the editor you add your content to the layout. Then publish your site.

You'll have to know a little coding ( or maybe a lot ) but you'll get lots of good help here in the forum. Good luck with your new project and let us know how it goes! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.