What am I doing wrong? Breakpoints,...

User 1840400 Photo

17 posts

Hi guys I am using the trial version but I love the concept of RLM and it is amazingly easy to create a mockup of a site.

My issue comes when I try to edit the layout at different breakpoints. I have my layout just the way I want it. I move the slider until the layout breaks and then I create a breakpoint and adapt the layout for the smaller screen size. I was so impressed I was ready to purchase the software. I kept doing this until I got to the smallest screen size creating breakpoints changing the layout etc. I created about 4 breakpoints but when I moved the slider back to the 1st breakpoint (largest screen setting) to finetune everything I found RLM had not retained any of the changes for each breakpoint. The breakpoint for the largest screen size was the same as for the smallest size screen I'd just edited. The changes I make at each breakpoint are being applied to all the breakpoints?

What did I do wrong - I thought as I moved the slider back over the breakpoints I would see the changes I had made for each screen size?

Is this a bug with the trial version or am I missing a step - I've scoured the forums and the tutorials and haven't been able to find anything to help with this.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

There are no limitations in the trial version, so something else may be going on here. Can you post your RLMP project file so we can take a look at what is going on? Just zip it up and attach it or upload it to your server and post a URL to the file. Need to see it in action to offer some suggestion.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1840400 Photo

17 posts

Thanks for the quick response Scott! Here is the file.

This started off as a layout with the logo on the far right and the 4 menu buttons in a straight line next to it. At the first breakpoint I moved the buttons underneath the logo.

As the screen got smaller I added a new row and lined two buttons for the menu on top of the other two buttons underneath the logo.etc. I was attempting to stack elements for the smaller screen.

I have a hidden element on the smallest size setting and this seems to disappear and reappear as the slider moved but with all other changes unfortunately all I see is the last change.

I'm sure I'm just missing a critical step somewhere.

Thanks!

Attachments:
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

I am seeing only 3 breakpoints (not 4) configured in this layout. You have one at 1349px, 1097px and 665px. When I look at the settings for each breakpoint, I see a different layout for all 3 of them. For example, at the largest breakpoint the logo is to the right but on the lowest breakpoint it is more centered.

I would suggest trying to make your modifications again and pay attention to the slider bar and make sure the white dot appears on the breakpoint so that you know you are working within that breakpoint. Make a small adjustment, save and re-open and verify that your change appears. Hopefully it was just a simple mistake like.

If not, let us know what you did change and we can try and replicate it here again with you.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1840400 Photo

17 posts

My original file had 4 breakpoints but I had already ditched it and started again so you got mk.2 of my first file.

I can see that the logo has moved slightly but I rearranged the buttons at each breakpoint and this is not reflected in the layout as I move the slider either. In the first instance all the buttons and the logo were in a single line, then 2 lines then 3 lines. I can only see the three lines no matter which breakpoint I am viewing.

I'll try again.

Can rows and columns be moved and changed between breakpoints or is this not the idea?
If not then that is what I'm doing wrong, although I can't see how to adjust the layout without doing this.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

PICNIC wrote:
My original file had 4 breakpoints but I had already ditched it and started again so you got mk.2 of my first file.

I can see that the logo has moved slightly but I rearranged the buttons at each breakpoint and this is not reflected in the layout as I move the slider either. In the first instance all the buttons and the logo were in a single line, then 2 lines then 3 lines. I can only see the three lines no matter which breakpoint I am viewing.

I'll try again.

Can rows and columns be moved and changed between breakpoints or is this not the idea?
If not then that is what I'm doing wrong, although I can't see how to adjust the layout without doing this.

You cannot move rows and columns between breakpoints. Doing so will impact all breakpoints. That could be where you are going wrong at. Try again but this time go to the Layout Tab and adjust the SPAN for each column.

This article will help explain things a bit more on how to work with rows and columns:
http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … out-maker/

Let me know how it goes. ;)
User 1840400 Photo

17 posts

Awesome! Thanks for creating a truly great piece of software that will save me countless hours of work. Now that I have sorted out the fact that I can't delete and change rows to adjust the format between breakpoints I have been able to create a responsive layout very quickly.

Thanks for your help!

User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Great to hear Picnic! You will grow to love this software as much as we do!
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.