Tips to Help You Get Started with RLM...

User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

Here are some thoughts to help get you started with RLM.

1. THINK IN TERMS OF TEMPLATES
As you design in RLM, be thinking in terms of templates rather than pages. The majority of your pages will use the same layout so you only need to design each layout once in RLM. If it is a simple site, you might have one layout for the homepage and a 2nd layout for the rest of the pages.

2. EDIT A COPY, NOT THE ACTUAL EXPORTED FILES.
From your exported folder, copy the contents to your HTML Editor project. Work on those files.

3. EDIT YOUR TEMPLATES BEFORE YOU START ADDING THE MAJORITY OF THE SITE CONTENT
Put some filler copy in each template and test on the web. Tweak the css and even the structure. Do all this before you start adding the actual site content. That way, all your structural work is completely done.

4. YOU CAN USE RLM TO TWEAK THE CSS AT ANY TIME
If you need to go back to RLM and make tweaks to the CSS, no big deal. Re-export and copy all the folders from the export into your project. However, DO NOT copy the html files. The CSS is now updated.

5. READY TO ADD CONTENT? HERE'S HOW TO ADD YOUR PAGES.
For each page, open the layout that you want to use for the page and "Save As" the new page, then fill in the copy or other elements of the page. That way, you can continue to use each template over and over again.

6. CHANGES TO THE STRUCTURE
What happens when you have added a bunch of pages and discover you need to make a significant structural change to the page? This is one of the toughest situation since a change to structure means updates potentially to multiple pages. The best thing you can do is get all the structure right to begin with. (See #3 above.) If you know how to use PHP includes, they can be of great use to you. For pieces of the layout that are used on multiple pages (header, navigation, footer, etc.), you can put them in their own file and "include" them on the page. Then, if you need to make structural changes in those areas, update one file and it is updated across the site.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Great tips Brian! :)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Thanks for sharing this will help a lot of people!
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 171749 Photo

91 posts

Brian Durfee wrote:

6. CHANGES TO THE STRUCTURE
What happens when you have added a bunch of pages and discover you need to make a significant structural change to the page? This is one of the toughest situation since a change to structure means updates potentially to multiple pages. The best thing you can do is get all the structure right to begin with.

That’s where I fail. I’m always changing something. I call myself a perfectionist. Other people call me anal :D
User 246306 Photo

Ambassador
22 posts

Thanks, I have somewhere to go. Glad I found this post. I think my eyes are crossing.:cool:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.