Resetting Elements at breakpoints? -...

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Not sure what to call it hence the title of the thread lol.

What I'm wanting to know is if there is a way to reset a breakpoint setting on an element so that it can inherit from the previous or parent settings again?

Example, you go in and make pages, setup things to hastily (ok ya I'm impatient lol) and then later realize you could have done something simpler, easier, and it wouldn't have had to have the extra settings on such and such breakpoint. You still need the breakpoint, but you really don't need the extra settings you've added to that bunch of elements on that breakpoint.

I hope that makes sense. Basically I'm at a breakpoint towards the smallest size that I really didn't need to add some settings on and would like it to inherit from the previous settings again. Can this be done?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

I haven't found any such resetting. You can delete the breakpoint, but then you lose ALL the settings, also the ones you wanted to keep. If you have added the unnecessary settings in sequence, as the last changes you made to the file, you may go back in history (Ctrl+Z) and undo one setting after the other. I don't think there are other ways.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

I have done this before too... many times unfortunately. I found the quickest way is delete the element and just add it again. That being said the average website should only have about 4-5 max breakpoints so it shouldn't be to hard to go back and edit the element. If you find your self with more than 5, especially much more than 5, you should probably look at what you can be doing differently in your layout. Chances are you are trying to set the breakpoints at specific screen sizes instead of using them to fix the layout when it breaks.

Hope that makes sense.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

Steve, I don't think JoAnn is creating breakpoints for certain screen sizes. But with some complex designs, you actually need more than the average number of br.p. to tweak the appearance of the page. I have had such sites, with some 8 br.p. to make the design not break (pun intended).
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I don't create breakpoints for specific sizes, I create them only when it breaks and needs a spot to adjust it.

Other than that, replacing elements is the long way, so I'm still waiting on an answer to my question :P If there isn't a way then I will put it in the suggestions thread, but since I don't always see every little setting for what it is I figured I'd ask before I posted a suggestion for it :)
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

I've done the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to get out of doing a little bit of work, but you don't have to remove the entire element (though sometimes that is the best choice depending on the situation).

For the element(s) that you need to reset, remove the custom class and/or id that you gave to the element. That will reset the element. Unfortunately, you have to put the element settings back, so there is a little work involved. Give it a different class or id name, move to the breakpoint where you want the settings to happen and make them.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Which is basically redoing exactly what you just removed right? The point of removing the settings back to the beginning of the element insertion is so that it will inherit the previous breakpoints settings without having to enter anything manually. It would be a bit redundant to delete the class and then make a new one and put settings back in manually. Thanks for trying though :P
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

I don't think you can reset an element for a particular breakpoint. I wasn't answering the question you asked. I was just giving you a remedy for not having to replace all your elements. At least then you don't have to recreate all your elements that you want to reset.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.