New Site - RLM instead of VSD - Post...

User 246306 Photo

Ambassador
22 posts

Ok, I had a website for an old business built on VSD, but mobile devices weren't the defacto way to view webpages. Based on my research, it seems that VSD will not really continue to fulfill my needs for my new business website. I read about RLM. It seems this will work with the all the new mobile devices and still allow the site to work with a traditional computer. Here's my questions, If I need menus and buttons, do I need the Menu app, Web form Builder and Button app? I don't know coding, i.e. HTML, so would I still use VSD to build website then use RLM to adjust the way the pages "fit" on devices, is that correct? And if I am understanding this correctly, they are no longer going to write updates to VSD, so will there be another like product or should I learn HTML?

I won't need a shopping cart, because my business doesn't have that, but I will need them to be able to navigate the pages, I will like them to be able to fill out a form to contact me for quotes/information, and buttons are a handy feature especially on a mobile device. Any advice? I am trying to figure it out before I start the building of pages and find out I a missing some critical pieces.

Thanks, years ago everyone here was so helpful. I have tried to search the forums and read the description of the apps, but can't seem to find out if I have to have it or if it would just be "encouraged" for ease of use.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Hi Angela,

The short answer is no you cannot build with VSD and adjust with rlm. These are two different types of programs.

RLM is an excellent program to build responsive layouts. You will still have to know a bit about coding because rlm is not a website designer like VSD is. You would build your layout with rlm then add in your menus and galleries after you export.

I would suggest to download the free trial to get the feel for it. But please remember you do have to have some knowledge of html and css to finish off your build.

Once you get past the little bit of a learning curve this program is the best on the market for responsive layout design.

Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

And you'll get plenty of help here! Right Steve? Steve ? :D
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Absolutely! I have become very familiar with this software and could provide with any guidance you may need along the way. :lol::lol::lol:
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2277531 Photo

27 posts

So there is no way to transfer the layout from RLM to VSD?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Hodson666 wrote:
So there is no way to transfer the layout from RLM to VSD?

Visual Site Designer builds websites using "absolute positioning". This means everything has a fixed place within your page and cannot adjust based on the viewer’s device size (desktop, tablet, mobile phone etc.). Absolute positioning does not allow for a fluid design. design.

Responsive Layout Maker solves one of the biggest challenges in responsive design, having a flexible core which can adapt based on the viewer’s screen size. In a nutshell, Responsive Layout Maker creates a responsive prototype website (called a layout). You build the structure of your website in Responsive Layout Maker and then export to any code editor to add your final content.

If you have not done so yet, we also have a bunch of articles on RLM to help you get more familiar with how the software works. Our Quick Start Guide is very helpful when getting started with Responsive Layout Maker. We recommend taking a look at it as it explains many different parts of RLM.

If your traffic statistics are leaning towards mobile traffic, we really suggest you dive into the responsive waters now. With Responsive Layout Maker along with the Quick Start Guide, some helpful videos and other tutorials will help you master this critical aspect web design. We recommend taking a look at it as it explains many different parts of Responsive Layout Maker. It will also allow you to hit the ground running when our Responsive Site Designer program is released (Responsive Site Designer will be able to import RLM layouts).
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2319506 Photo

6 posts

If the two are incompatible, is there any straightforward way of migrating a site from VSD to RLM?
I have a HUGE number of pages. Manual migration won't be pretty.

Craig R. Lang Certified Hypnotherapist
Researcher, Writer, Speaker
Explore with Hypnosis
--------------
Owner and Principal Engineer
Horizon Technologies
---------------
763-257-7334
craig@craigrlang.com
www.ExploreWithHypnosis.com
www.horizontechnologiesdba.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

CRL wrote:
If the two are incompatible, is there any straightforward way of migrating a site from VSD to RLM?
I have a HUGE number of pages. Manual migration won't be pretty.

It will have to be all manually done no matter what program you are using (even VSD).
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 246306 Photo

Ambassador
22 posts

"You would build your layout with rlm then add in your menus and galleries after you export. " - from Steve's post...

Layout, if I am understanding you correctly would not be the content (what I mean by this is "welcome to XYZ company home of widgets are us") It would be where I am placing page breaks, images, menus (i.e. click here for home page, about us), buttons, fill out form. Am I understanding that correctly?

I think I am even more confused by the answer Steve. I need to get my website up in the next few days. I don't really have time to learn coding. I know in the past with VSD I was able to build and change my website in days, then tweak until I perfected it. It doesn't sound like this is going to be the way to go now.

How hard is it to learn HTML and CSS? Can I learn that in a few hours? I ready to start throwing the pages up, I have my images together, my material and subject matter, just need to put it together and get the "roughdraft" out for others to view.

Plus, I still don't know if I need those additional programs. Menu app, Web form Builder and Button app?
User 246306 Photo

Ambassador
22 posts

Oh, and I had read the RLM Guide and had watched several of the videos prior to posting. Thought they were helpful.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.