CSS help, please... - Post ID 244860

User 283347 Photo

388 posts

I'm playing with rlmp and found a menu effect I like...but here is my problem...

The text links in the menu are blue and I cannot change them. I am able to change every other color of borders, lines, backgrounds, etc. but that blue text, nope.

Anyway...I have (I think) narrowed it to be a duplicate / conflicting CSS....my custom CSS line 97 and the coffeegrinder.min.css line#1 seem to not play well. I don't know what steps to take to fix them.

Now...I could be totally wrong on what the problem is but I think its a start:)

link is mynetshepherd.coffeecup.com

Thanks to everyone who helps those like me on this and the other forums.

MJ
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Hey there,

You do have something overwriting your code.

Delete the color property from the below code:

a:link {
color: #5087ca;
text-decoration: none
}

You can find it in the http://mynetshepherd.coffeecup.com/css/ … er.min.css style sheet.

That should clear up your issue. :)
User 283347 Photo

388 posts

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the info. However even with it gone the menu text is still blue. Don't I need that code to change the color? ...or rather isn't that where it should be changed?

So with it gone in its current state...where would I change the color of the link? I only know enough to be dangerous:)

MJ
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

mark johnson wrote:
Hey Adam,

Thanks for the info. However even with it gone the menu text is still blue. Don't I need that code to change the color? ...or rather isn't that where it should be changed?

So with it gone in its current state...where would I change the color of the link? I only know enough to be dangerous:)

MJ

I do not show where you have removed it. Can you upload the changes?
User 283347 Photo

388 posts

ok...I have re-synced...did I get rid of it? I think I did ha!

in the custom css at line 97 is where the color value is supposed to change it...but it has no affect???

a {

color: #507ca;
text-decoration: none;
font-weight: bold;

}
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Mark,
(color: #507ca; <<<missing a letter/number)
If you just have "a { some color}", that's what every link will be, including your <nav> links, so try setting specific link properties just for your <nav> section.
nav ul { some CSS....}
nav li { CSS for list items (font, size, margins...) }
nav li a, nav li a:visited { set your color }
nav li a:hover { another color }
nav li a:active { another color choice }
>also set underlines, etc

You might find it easier if you organized your text and link properties – put all your general styles together ( h1 etc., p, ul, li, a), then put all your <nav> properties together. ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 283347 Photo

388 posts

Hey Paintbrush,

Thanks for the help. I'll give that a try when I can...I was home a lot due to the snow and ice storms last week...I wont have as much time this week as things are mostly back to normal :)

I'm still a big rookie at this but I'll give it a shot! As for the color code #...just a typo...I've tried so many colors... Ha!

One observation regarding it as is...I looked at it on my old xp computer and tried to change the color to red so I could easily see any changes...on my xp desktop (not my win 7 laptop or my wifes) for a nano-second the letters will blink red then go back to blue...its really quick and like I said does not do it (or its too fast to see) on my win 7 comps. The browser is Firefox 35.0.1...just a tidbit fyi

Thanks, again, for the help.

MJ
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Sounds like it's just slow enough for you to see your color choice being over-ridden by another bit of CSS. :lol:
Get your style sheet organized! :D
It's good to understand how the C in CSS affects your webpage. Bit of a long slog, but understanding this will save a lot of frustration:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/04/07/css-specificity-and-inheritance/
...and the Star Wars example is fun.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.