Confused about responsive layout...

User 179977 Photo

158 posts

I am a bit confused about RLM. I know this is the way things are going and it is inevitable, but at the same time I am hesitant to make the leap.

I understand the overall concept, but I keep seeing "templates". I am gathering that this is not a template in the traditional sense of the word. In the past, a website template was rather rigid and allowed limited customization of content. Am I correct that in this sense, the template is more a collection of place holders, with the content not at all rigid?

Is it necessary or even possible to use a different layout for different pages of the same site?

I believe that after creation of a layout in RLM, you export it to HTML Editor for adding content. I know almost nothing about HTML. I understand that you can have a split screen so you can see what HTML changes do to the content, but I have always worked with Visual Site Designer and as I said, know almost no HTML. Does this mean that I have no choice (although probably beneficial) but to increase my understanding of HTML? Is drag and drop, copy and paste, a thing of the past?

Guess you could say I have cold feet about making the plunge, but feel it is necessary.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

I understand the overall concept, but I keep seeing "templates". I am gathering that this is not a template in the traditional sense of the word. In the past, a website template was rather rigid and allowed limited customization of content. Am I correct that in this sense, the template is more a collection of place holders, with the content not at all rigid?

These are not templates, they are layouts. But what you are describing is what they layout consists of. You add specific kinds of placeholders to the layout that represents certain things.

Is it necessary or even possible to use a different layout for different pages of the same site?

Of course! You are building a website layout here and each page can be unique.

I believe that after creation of a layout in RLM, you export it to HTML Editor for adding content. I know almost nothing about HTML. I understand that you can have a split screen so you can see what HTML changes do to the content, but I have always worked with Visual Site Designer and as I said, know almost no HTML. Does this mean that I have no choice (although probably beneficial) but to increase my understanding of HTML? Is drag and drop, copy and paste, a thing of the past?

You will need to have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS. Responsive Layout Maker solves one of the biggest challenges in responsive design, having a flexible core which can adapt based on the viewer’s screen size.You build the structure of your website in Responsive Layout Maker and then export to any code editor to add your final content.

While this task may sound overwhelming at first, we highly recommend taking the time now to understand the power of Responsive Layout Maker. Getting a good grasp of the basics now will allow you to hit the ground running when our Responsive Site Designer program is released (Responsive Site Designer will be able to import RLM layouts). Once you understand the basics of how RLM functions, we are confident you will be a pro in no time.

If you have not done so yet, we also have a bunch of articles on RLM to help you get more familiar with how the software works. Our Quick Start Guide is very helpful when getting started with Responsive Layout Maker. We recommend taking a look at it as it explains many different parts of RLM.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 179977 Photo

158 posts

Thanks for the reply Scott. Will the Responsive Site Designer be kin to VSD, that is more of copy paste type setup? If so, I assume you are saying get my feet wet now, and all will be better soon. Any time frame on the Responsive Layout Maker, weeks, months, etc.? Thanks again.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Phil wrote:
Thanks for the reply Scott. Will the Responsive Site Designer be kin to VSD, that is more of copy paste type setup? If so, I assume you are saying get my feet wet now, and all will be better soon. Any time frame on the Responsive Layout Maker, weeks, months, etc.? Thanks again.

Responsive Site Designer will function much like Layout Maker but it will allow you to add your content right in the program without having to export. I would certainly recommend getting your feet wet with Layout Maker so that you have a jumpstart on things. As to a release date, that will be soon. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2488786 Photo

190 posts

How soon? :)
An expert at using the wrong tool the right way.
User 289442 Photo

161 posts

Rick Williams wrote:
How soon? :)

Ahhhhhhh.... the standard answer here on CC is "Soon" whether a day or 2 years.....:lol:
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,087 posts

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46490478/ccfunnypics/scottwink.gif

Bahhahahaa!
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2488786 Photo

190 posts

Soon is a relative term! :D
An expert at using the wrong tool the right way.
User 2455502 Photo

1 post

OK. I have never built a website without a template and I am jumping into this RLM challenge. I am having a real problem with images. I have exported all the files to GoDaddy (the host) and I can't get images to show up. I have the images at a width of 200 and the image boxes set with a maximum of 200. I have tried .tif, .png and even ,svg. I have the row divided into three columns. I have tried inserting images directly into the column and i have also placed containers to hold the images. The links are set as /img/filename.png. What am I missing?
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

Mike McMichen wrote:
OK. I have never built a website without a template and I am jumping into this RLM challenge. I am having a real problem with images. I have exported all the files to GoDaddy (the host) and I can't get images to show up. I have the images at a width of 200 and the image boxes set with a maximum of 200. I have tried .tif, .png and even ,svg. I have the row divided into three columns. I have tried inserting images directly into the column and i have also placed containers to hold the images. The links are set as /img/filename.png. What am I missing?

it should be img/filename.png not /img/filename.png.

and make sure it is not img/filename.PNG in capital letter or make sure it match exactly as your file name .

in RLMP image properties export path you insert you images like this : img/filename.png
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.