Background image. - Post ID 234264

User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Hey Lainsky glad you liked the tutorial!

1) If I go back to RLMP to make changes, I will lose all of the content and images that I have placed, I am wondering if I can just alter the html to get the effect I am looking for?

No you cannot to my knowledge. Remember the RLM is just that, a layout maker. Although it has many excellent features added to it to create great looking website prototypes it will not allow you to alter the html within the application. I do know that they are working on a Responsive Site Designer that will have some of these features included in it. The developers and CC Staff are working extremely hard to get this completed so stay tuned ;)

I just noticed that I have two references to the background in my main css:

body.grid-1 {
background-color: rgba(222, 19, 19, .6);
}
body.whole-background {
background-color: rgba(222, 19, 19, .65);
}

Would it be ok if I put the background image where the color is in both?

No you don't ever want to make changes to any of the css files that RLM exports as they will be overwritten every time you export your project. This is why you want to make a custom.css file and make all your modifications there. Once you have located the row, column, subgrid, subgrid row, or subgrid column you can apply the same method of adding an image to the background.

2) I want the background image to apply to the entire grid, not just a row. It would make sense to me that I should be able to add the background image and settings of the image right after the "body.grid-1 { " and replace the background color with my new background image and settings.

I have not tried to add an image to the body grid yet so I am not sure how it would respond, maybe someone else will chime in here with a solution to that issue. I am sure there is a way.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 173811 Photo

10 posts

Hi Steve,
I did not realize that RLM was designed with the purpose that the user should keep going back to it regularly to make changes. I thought that once it is exported you don't go back unless you have to.
I have made other alterations to my main css in html editor all ready, so that's bad news for me. :(
I might just abandon my idea of adding a background image for now just because I am running out of time and keep these rules in mind for the next time. I will just change the color.
I have one more question though, I already have a custom css that I created for my google map. For future reference, would I create another custom css for the changes that you are talking about? Maybe calling it custom2.css?
Thanks for all of your help!
Elaine
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

No you can use the same custom.css file. Just add your modifications to the bottom of the same one. RLM will never overwrite this file. So only need to set it up once and it will stay.

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
User 173811 Photo

10 posts

Hi Steve,

So, I think I am going to have to re-create my website with RLMP since I have been altering my css in html editor. I realize this will get me into trouble down the road. This is ok though, since it is not a big site and I will be able to upload something in the meantime that will look pretty good. I was able to change the grid color background, although not the right way. :P

Just so I am clear though; is RLMP designed so that the user can keep going back to alter the site as the need arises, for instance changing the layout of a page or adding a page? And every time the RLMP document is exported, the images are lost? Should the site be exported to a separate location so that the whole site is not overwritten?

I will go back and watch your video, it was very helpful!

Thanks again,

Elaine
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Just so I am clear though; is RLMP designed so that the user can keep going back to alter the site as the need arises, for instance changing the layout of a page or adding a page?

Yes for the most part you can go back and edit and not worrying about it overwriting your images. Please note that for things like menus, wow sliders, and image galleries or anything else you add after you export will be lost kind of... it will not overwrite the files that these third party apps create but it will take the code out of the index or what ever page you are working on at the time. I just have a note pad with the html for the these things and add them back in after i export.

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I would highly suggest backing up your site completely when ever you're planning to do any revamping using RLM. Some things you can get away with just using the CSS files with, but for the most part if you change any page's structural setup you'll need to redo all the content again. Shouldn't be too bad since you would already have a page completed that you can just copy the content from and place into the new page after export, but definitely back your site up first.

As for the overwrite, most likely not, since it exports to a separate folder with _exported at the end of the name and that folder is not generally used as the site location so you should be ok, but if you export it with the same exact name to the same location it was exported before, it "WILL" overwrite the last exported files which you may want to keep a backup of as a precaution.
User 173811 Photo

10 posts

Thank you Jo Ann. Very helpful, your sites are really eye catching!
Cute kid :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

You're quite welcome and thanks lainsky for the nice comment on the sites, and for the granddaughter comment too! :)
User 480052 Photo

21 posts

Steve,
I tried your solution and it didn't work for me.
Here is the original exported CSS:
.subgrid > .row > [class*='coffee-span-'].pagesubgridcolumnright {
float: right;
margin-top: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 25px;
background-color: #d3e645;
}

And here is the modified CSS save in a custom.css file:
.subgrid > .row > [class*='coffee-span-'].pagesubgridcolumnright {
float:right;
margin-top:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-left:0;
padding-right:0;
padding-bottom:0;
padding-left:25px;
background:url(img/b-icon-rightcolumnborder.png);
background-repeat:repeat-y;
}
Any assistance you could provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

I think that's because you are trying to change the wrong row. Can you provide me with a link to your page and I will help you determine what row you want to modify with your css.

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.