Can I create an anchor and jump to it...

User 2820683 Photo

6 posts

I have a newsletter with news at the top and events at the bottom. It would be nice to create a link that allows users to jump to the events section (or to jump to the events for their location within that section). In HTML, I'd handle this with a link to a named anchor or element. Is there a way to accomplish it in RED?
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

You can still do that much in the same way in RED. Use an ID on the element that you want to use as an anchor and then for the element you are creating the link from, use #ID name.
Attachments:
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2820683 Photo

6 posts

That works perfectly! Thanks very much.
User 2820683 Photo

6 posts

Okay, that worked perfectly in REDs preview, but the behavior is not as straightforward when you copy/paste the newsletter into an email message. When you copy/paste into email, the behavior changes. Clicking a link to an anchor prompts you to save a local copy of the email first (and jump through some security dialogs) before opening the message in a browser, at which points the links work as expected.

Any ideas on how to make this work with fewer UX hiccups? We craft our newsletters in RED, but we copy/paste into Outlook (desktop version) to send. So that's where people will be interacting with the content.
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Hi James,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that RED was not designed to work that way. You can set up an email address in the settings and use RED to send a message or use one of the bulk mail providers listed "ExactTarget, MailChimp, Constant Contact or Campaign Monitor" If you simply cut and paste this info into outlook and send or forward the markup becomes all messed up.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2820683 Photo

6 posts

It has certain negative consequences, to be sure, the copy/paste thing. But we don't have the option of using a 3rd-party bulk mailer, at this point. So far, we've been able to work around whatever problems the copy/paste workflow creates. So I'm cautiously optimistic that we can find a fix for this one.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.