LockBox error message...help! - Post...

User 350073 Photo

1 post

I'm having the same problem, but there's something that to me makes it seem the issue is not as simple as the database file becoming corrupt.

On my computer, all copies of my password files started producing the same error message - including older backups from various sources.

Those older backups work on another computer.

If that is the case, then I would expect even the current version of the file to work on another computer, and it does, but it shows a last modified date of two years ago, and is missing recent information. But that file - the .pwk file in the main Lockbox software folder - has always showed an old date.

So it seems there may be something I don't understand about where Lockbox stores files. And yet the TinyDB error reported in the error message relates to that file location - the one with the .pwk from two years ago.

I don't understand how information I've saved from the last two years has successfully been stored if either the file is not being updated and the software is looking in that location for the file.

Does Lockbox change where it looks for the file from time to time, and if so, why would that be? Could my most recent version of the file actually be somewhere else, and the TinyDB error has occurred because Lockbox has suddenly started looking in the wrong location?

Otherwise it is as if the file has suddenly been replaced with an old version that the software got from who knows where?
User 271042 Photo

Ambassador
85 posts

I am in BIG trouble with the same issue. I am one of the few who do regular backups of personal files, but NOT files in the programs folder. There's obviously something to be said for keeping things in the cloud, where someone else is responsible for keeping backups of things most of us don't even think about.

Forgive my language, but SHIT ... this is really going to cost me (not just in terms of time, but in terms of money too) because I can't access so many things now, not just my own stuff, but customers' stuff too.

Surely, there has to be a way that CoffeeCup can recover something meaningful with a .pwk file if we send it to them?

I live in hope, otherwise my blood pressure will hit the roof as soon as my customers start asking "Why haven't you done this, done that, etc. etc". All I can offer in way of an excuse is "Sorry, I've lost usernames and passwords"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil
http://www.gr8-knots.com

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
User 271042 Photo

Ambassador
85 posts

Thank God I'm paranoid!

I have found a pdf file which I generated as a backup on memory stick, so I am only a few weeks behind the times. Yes, I'll have to re-enter usernames and passwords into some software (NOT LockBox!!!!!!!!!!!!)), although there will be quite a bit of work requesting lost passwords, but I suppose I'm better off than some!

Not happy though, I can tell you.

Phil

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Philatgr8 wrote:
I am in BIG trouble with the same issue. I am one of the few who do regular backups of personal files, but NOT files in the programs folder. There's obviously something to be said for keeping things in the cloud, where someone else is responsible for keeping backups of things most of us don't even think about.

Forgive my language, but SHIT ... this is really going to cost me (not just in terms of time, but in terms of money too) because I can't access so many things now, not just my own stuff, but customers' stuff too.

Surely, there has to be a way that CoffeeCup can recover something meaningful with a .pwk file if we send it to them?

I live in hope, otherwise my blood pressure will hit the roof as soon as my customers start asking "Why haven't you done this, done that, etc. etc". All I can offer in way of an excuse is "Sorry, I've lost usernames and passwords"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil

Backups are always a must! We even have a utility in Lockbox under the File Menu for it as well. We also do not want you to send us your .pwk file either. I do not want to be responsible for knowing your most private account details. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 271042 Photo

Ambassador
85 posts

Ok,

I have a pwk file on my laptop, which is only a few weeks out of date. How do I import that into the Lockbox application on my desktop (version 3)? My laptop is old and past it (like me), so I do not wish to run any software on that.

Currently, if I open Lockbox on my desktop I get a blank database. If I then try to login so that I can try to import the working database I get the dreaded TinyBD error. I suppose I could try to reinstall Lockbox from my downloads folder (yes, they're backed up), but the application is dated December 2006.

I have looked at my purchases and what I own, and Lockbox doesn't appear, although Lockbox version 4 appears in the software I do NOT own.

Am I safe to reinstall Lockbox version 3? At least that will save me having to retype everything in.

If I can get this sorted then at least I know I can resurrect a working database if I backup the pwk file every time it is updated.

Thanks,

Phil

User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Philatgr8 wrote:
Ok,

I have a pwk file on my laptop, which is only a few weeks out of date. How do I import that into the Lockbox application on my desktop (version 3)? My laptop is old and past it (like me), so I do not wish to run any software on that.

Currently, if I open Lockbox on my desktop I get a blank database. If I then try to login so that I can try to import the working database I get the dreaded TinyBD error. I suppose I could try to reinstall Lockbox from my downloads folder (yes, they're backed up), but the application is dated December 2006.

I have looked at my purchases and what I own, and Lockbox doesn't appear, although Lockbox version 4 appears in the software I do NOT own.

Am I safe to reinstall Lockbox version 3? At least that will save me having to retype everything in.

If I can get this sorted then at least I know I can resurrect a working database if I backup the pwk file every time it is updated.

Thanks,

Phil

You do not really import them. You just add them to a specific folder. With version 4 however you can use the File > Open method. Version 4 also helps correct the Tindy.db. You would need to purchase version 4 separately.

You can find out where to place these .pwk files here at http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … ersion-4x/
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 271042 Photo

Ambassador
85 posts

Hi Scott,

I've downloaded the free trial and seem to have restored almost everything. When the trial period approaches the expiry date, will an option automatically come up to purchase, or will I need to do that separately? In other words, will I need to uninstall the trial version and then install the real version?

Thanks,

Phil

User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Philatgr8 wrote:
Hi Scott,

I've downloaded the free trial and seem to have restored almost everything. When the trial period approaches the expiry date, will an option automatically come up to purchase, or will I need to do that separately? In other words, will I need to uninstall the trial version and then install the real version?

Thanks,

Phil

When the trial ends, the program will expire and not open any more. You will then purchase the full version, uninstall the trial and then install the full version. After that, you will be good to go.
User 119244 Photo

1 post

I have use lock box for at least 3 years with no problems. Received message pw.pwd is a invalid tiny DB

Luckily I backed up my passwords on an old computer that is not online in a text format.

Is there any way that my computer could nave been compromised. Yesterday I noticed chinese symbols in one of my busiess displays that should not have been there.

I am changing all my business passwords just in case

User 2071777 Photo

1 post

I have used LockBox for quite some years without problems. Now I just lost access to LockBox with corrupted database. No problems with other programs or the LockBox program itself, only with the database file. As I usually don't backup program directories as often as my ordinary work-files (as programs can usually be reinstalled if necessary), I have lost quite a lot of password updates.

With good web-security software, I am reasonably sure that this is not an intruder issue. I suspect it to be just a write-operation beeing interrupted or some similar problem as it only affect this file.

Many programs use automatic backlogs. If lockbox had used backlog copies, you'd always have one or more healthy backups to return to without having to think of it. Now, everthing depends on one single file update not beeing corrupted - not a good solution for such a critical file.

Do CoffeCup LockBox have backlogs in new versions or do you have any plan to make a backlog to save people from a single file failure in the future. You shouldn't need many lines of program code to add this extra safety.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.