js files not opening in the editor -...

User 3082537 Photo

2 posts

Hi,
My Javascript files do not open after I upgraded to the current version. Would anyone know why Javascript files won't open?
User 3082537 Photo

2 posts

Also when i try to open a js file by right clicking and selecting 'Open in Associated Application', I get a Windows Script Host syntax error.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,190 posts

Hi Glenn,
Have you restarted your pc or tried reinstalling the Editor. I've been editing js files in every version and they open fine for me. Your install might be corrupt.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 379556 Photo

1,535 posts

It seems possible that Windows itself is the problem. If so, the following may help.

"Microsoft ® Windows Based Script Host" is Windows default program for opening .js files, and it seems to try to send one to it if, in File Explorer, one right clicks on a .js file.

If The HTML Editor is set as the program for opening .js files, it should do so on double-clicking rather than on right-clicking on the file in File Explorer.

If the above doesn't help, it may be necessary to associate .js files with The HTML Editor. It can also be done by right-clicking in File Explorer on a .js file and choosing
1. Open with
2. Choose another app
3. More apps
4. CoffeeCup HTML Editor > Always use this app to open .js files > OK

The above is the procedure in Windows 11, but is probably much the same in Windows 10

Frank
User 2836573 Photo

1 post

I have 2 PCs with the editor installed. One with the previous version and the other with the latest (17.0 build 882). The latter started to produce this problem of not opening .js files form the left side pane 'my websites'. Though using 'open with' from File Explorer and choosing the Coffeecup editor works. On both PCs the file association for .js are the same, i.e. Windows Script Host.
As a workaround I've added *.js to: Tools>Preferences>Files>Server Files. Probably better to add it to Text Files, which also works, as .js files are not server files.

Louis
User 3086477 Photo

22 posts

Javascript has some issues that sometimes require some familiarity. If there is an error in a file between and, that file often fails silently. This is usually true even if the block contains individual functions. You need to debug this to see where the problem occurs.

1 - The browser you are using may have a built in debugger (FireFox does).
2 - you need to debug it via "divide and conquer"

The latter is done by commenting out large blocks of the javascript (BUT STILL LEAVING USABLE CODE). If what's left works, look at what's still commented. If it doesn't work, further comment out code until it does and your previous commenting-out block contains the error. Do this as much as is necessary for you to locate the error.

Regards,
J wick

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.